cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I try to open an image I am redirected to gophoto.it. The image won't open

Highlighted

When I try to open an image I am redirected to gophoto.it. The image won't open

Example: Search in Google = Royal Navy Open link in Wikipedia. Wikipedia has an image I would like to open. When I click on the image a get a blank window with this in the address:

http://www.gophoto.it/view.php?i=/wiki/File:Logo_of_the_Royal_Navy.jpg

22 REPLIES
SUMO Contributor

Re: When I try to open an image I am redirected to gophoto.it. The image won't open

When you say you installed "from Yahoo" was it a special customized edition of Firefox??

This could be a feature of an add-on. Could you check to see whether you have any unrecognized add-ons and disable (or remove) them. In particular:

orange Firefox button or classic Tools menu > Add-ons > Extensions category

Then restart Firefox and watch for the toolbar, which hopefully will not appear.

You also could paste a list of your extensions here for review. You can copy them from this page:

Help > Troubleshooting Information

It's the second table, which appears below the Extensions heading.

New User

Re: When I try to open an image I am redirected to gophoto.it. The image won't open

Hi,

That issue you wrote here are solved by those guys, all works good now I'm also use it to enlarge all photos on the web.

New User

Hey, My name is Efrat from Gophoto.it. we had a massive load on our servers and the system was unstable with limited responsive rate for 20 hours. Everything should be 100% working and stable right now so if you encounter any farther problems or want to know more about the gophoto.it tool, please contact me via this email address info@gophoto.it GoPhoto.It is extension for Firefox or Chrome and it can be easily remove from the extension manager page in your browser, Let me know if you have any problems there also. Hope you will keep using it, Thanks , Efrat.

New User

I am sick of being redirected to this site whenever I try to download an image. I don't have the gophoto.it extension installed.

This is malware.

How do I get rid of it?

Is it built in to firefox or something?

New User

I am having the same problem and have been unable to remove the GoPhotoIt (and FreeHDSport) from Firefox. The only option I have is disable. I have tried Safe Mode and also searching for the extension folders in My Home Library/ Application Support/ Profile. I ended up COMPLETELY deleting Firefox and associated folders and reinstalling Firefox. What were the only Two extensions that held over? GoPhotoIt and FreeHDSport TV. This is insidious malware if it has to be embedded so deeply and so hard to remove, regardless of whether these companies say it is harmless. Please, please help. I've wasted hours and hours of my life trying to resolve this issue.

2013-01-10-17-52-23-f830a9.png
New User

Your problem is worse than mine. My re-directs were coming from 1Click Downloader which was installed as a part of DownThemAll. DTA doesn't need 1CD. It can be removed in the usual manner, and DTA works better without it.

1CD has been defined by Kaspersky as malware with a 5 out of 5 rating. Quite dangerous.

The greyed out extensions to Firefox are a different matter. They haven't been installed in the usual manner, but by making changes to the registry, which forces Firefox to install them without an uninstall option. This is a security loophole in Windows, and there is nothing that Mozilla can do about it.

Do a search here, instructions are given on removal.

Warning: you have to make alterations to the registry by hand. Dangerous.

You could try sending efrat (post above my last one) an e-mail, but his reply assumes that you have the IQ of a quilt cover. Quite useless.

If you are only downloading individual images rather than DTA;s batches, there is an extension called Redirect Remover which bypasses the problem.

You are still left with a piece of malware on your system which really does need to be removed though.

Let me know how you get on.

New User

By the way, I'm using a Macbook Pro 2011

New User

Ah. Didn't realise you were a mac user. Most of my previous post will be of no use to you. Have you tried the apple forums?

PS: Take a look at marineking555's post (3rd on in this thread). Doesn't really fit does it?

I have seen similar threads to this one on a number of forums. You always get an answer like his. One post, never any more, saying the same thing.

Facebook has an app for resizing any image you mouse over. It is also a re-direct to gophoto.it. Does his post make more sense now?

New User

Yeah, I've seen that post on other threads as well. I'm very wary of that. I'm amazed at how hard it is to find help for this issue. It makes me think it's either nothing to worry about, or that I got extremely unlucky trying to watch a soccer game online at a bad website....