cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I open a new tab it opens a Bing search windos instead og a blank page like it used to

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

When I open a new tab it opens a Bing search windos instead og a blank page like it used to

When I open a new tab it opens a Bing search window instead of a blank page like it used to. When FF starts it opens a blank page like it should, but if I click on the + to the right of the current tab is when the Bing tabs open. It's just a Bing search window not the Bing homepage. If needed I can submit a screenshot of the new page. I use 2 addons affecting tabs. Multiple Tab Handler, and Colorful Tabs. I think SlimBrowser is an IE based browser. I use Win pro 64 bi on a HP laptop and FF 3.6.8 I've never had this problem all the years I used FF until now Any Ideas? Thanks Floyd

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: When I open a new tab it opens a Bing search windos instead og a blank page like it used to

My problem came from "Flash Video Downloader" plugin I had installed. It decided to put a nice little toolbar on my FireFox so once I disabled the toolbar I was able to open tabs without Bing getting in the way.

Now the toolbar is gone but my function to download videos went with it, but the workaround is that I just went to view>toolbars>customize and then I just dragged the FVD icon next to my search bar.

24 REPLIES
Shooting Star Contributor

Re: When I open a new tab it opens a Bing search windos instead og a blank page like it used to

Hello.

It's possible that you are having a problem with some Firefox add-on that is hindering your Firefox's normal behavior. Have you tried disabling all add-ons (just to check), to see if Firefox goes back to normal?

Whenever you have a problem with Firefox, whatever it is, you should make sure it's not caused by one (or more than one) of your installed add-ons, be it an extension, a theme or a plugin. To do that easily and cleanly, run Firefox in safe mode (don't forget to select Disable all add-ons when you start safe mode). If the problem disappears, you know it's from an add-on. Disable them all in normal mode, and enable them one at a time until you find the source of the problem. See this article for information about troubleshooting extensions and themes and this one for plugins.

If you need support for one of your add-ons, you'll have to contact its author.

If the problem is not disappears when all add-ons are disabled, please tell me, so we can work from there. Please have no fear of following my instructions to the line, as all can be easily undone.

New Contributor

Thanks Morbus. Somehow another addon was added when I installed the other browser. I think it was called Zuge or something. But it was a Bing toolbar. Any way it's fixed and I learned something too. I've been using FF for years and never knew about the FF safe mode. Thanks again. Floyd

New Contributor

Vuze forced an update recently that automatically installs the Vuze toolbar. Remove this add-on and the Bing search window shouldn't show up when you choose a New Tab.

New Contributor

The cause of the problem is perhaps a toolbar. In the new tab page that displays Bing, there must be an icon in the upper left corner, symbolizing the toolbar and there is is also the top right , a link to remove this unwanted page . Just click to remove the actionSmiley Happy. Otherwise, we may use NewTabURL

New Contributor

I use IE, from choice. I use "about:Tabs" as my home page. "about:Tabs" is also what appears on new tabs. It isn't blank, as with Mozilla users. It starts "What do you want to do next?"

Tonight, a Bing search appeared on "about:Tabs" for the first time, in IE, before "What do you want to do next?". There was a small "remove" link in the top left. It turned out that this removed the Bing search from "about:Tabs". Maybe this is relevant to other browsers, such as Mozilla.

New Contributor

Thank you, Morbus. Guess and check usually gets the job done.

New Contributor

PDF Lite add-on also causes the same problem. Removed it and problem gone.

New Contributor

This is not just an Add-on problem! It's not in my Add-ons. It isn't in my Program Files. Not one single solution I've found on any of the forums has resolved the problem for myself or many others. This is extremely aggravating, and I want it gone!

Shooting Star Contributor

That kind of attitude won't get you anywhere at all.

Can you please report that you tried disabling all add-ons and see if the same thing happens?