cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to the firefox icon on htm and html document files?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

What happened to the firefox icon on htm and html document files?

Today I have noticed it for the first time.. The icon use to look like a blank page with a mini firefox icon on it.. Now the htm and html icon looks like a blank white page that is bent on the top right hand corner.. I tried a firefox reset and it didn't help.. I don't wanna do a reinstall of firefox because I want to keep the old firefox download manager and not the new one that is on the right of the search bar.. ( I saw it on my ubuntu linux computer) BUT my computer with the html file icon problem is Windows 7 x64

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: What happened to the firefox icon on htm and html document files?

It does say it is a Firefox HTML Document but it doesn't show the firefox icon on the html file icon.. I'm going to just uninstall and reinstall.. Hopefully it will help

26 REPLIES
Legendary Contributor

If you right-click one of those desktop icons, then

Properties > Web Document tab > "Change Icons" button

Does the dialog show that it is using icons from the firefox.exe file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

If it shows some other program or file, then you could change it back in this dialog, or perhaps Firefox is no longer your default browser??

Legendary Contributor

By the way, what do you mean about the new download manager?? That might be a change to an add-on rather than a built-in feature. If it's a problem, you could post a new thread about it or maybe add a screen shot in a reply here.

Site Moderator

Try to rebuild the Windows icon cache.

1. Open the Task Manager (Shift+Ctrl+ESC)
  2. In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.
  3. Open the file picker via "File > New Task (Run)" and click the Browse button.
  4. Type or Paste %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local in the File name field (AppData is a hidden folder).
  5. Select the IconCache.db file and use "Delete" in the right-click context menu to delete the file.
  6. After the IconCache.db file has been deleted, start a new explorer.exe process via "File > New Task" to get the desktop and Taskbar back.

Verify in Windows Explorer that you can see the IconCache.db file before doing the above mentioned steps because the IconCache.db file may be a hidden file.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Show_hidden_files_and_folders

New Contributor

Firefox is my default browser.

New Contributor

But the icon still looks the same..

Site Moderator

You can disable the new download manager with the drop down list by setting the browser.download.useToolkitUI pref to true on the about:config page.

Can you attach a screenshot?

Use a compressed image type like PNG or JPG to save the screenshot.

New Contributor

Here is a screenshot of a ".html" file icon that i am currently seeing.. I did the icon cache rebuild thing but that didn't help.. I use to see a little firefox icon on the icon..

2012-11-13-19-11-25-ee0dc6.png
Site Moderator

I would like to see in which place(s) that you see that icon.

Can you attach a screenshot that shows the context where you see that icon.

New Contributor

I see that white icon on any .htm and .html document saved on my computer. On the .url files I see the icon that i use to see on htm and html files.. The image attached now is the icon of a .url file.

2012-11-13-20-42-58-44a50f.png