cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I do when I see "about sessionrestore" in the URL field ?

Highlighted
New User

What do I do when I see "about sessionrestore" in the URL field ?

Even when I uninstall Firefox and reinstall a newer version, the problem still occurs. When I click on Firefox icon, its page seems to open but the "about sessionrestore" reappears. If I click on the same field to write another URL, then Firefox stops responding

1 REPLY
Support Forum Moderator

Re: What do I do when I see "about sessionrestore" in the URL field ?

You get the about:sessionstore page if Firefox repeatedly crashes or closes abnormally.

Some troubleshooting options. Try to start Firefox in Firefox safe mode, this will start Firefox with add-ons disabled and can be used to see if an add-on is causing the problem. If it works in safe mode try the procedure in the Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems article.

Uninstalling and re-installing Firefox does not by default remove the profile folder (location where user data is stored), another troubleshooting option is to create a new profile. Creating a new profile will show if the problem is with the old profile. For how to do that see creating a new Firefox profile on Windows.

If the new profile works, you can copy selected data such as bookmarks and passwords to the new profile. For details see transferring data to a new profile. Do not copy the preferences file, and it is best to re-install any add-ons.