Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Videos not playing

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Videos not playing

For the first time ever since using Firefox, beginning in just the past two days, I can't get videos to play.

Currently, videos do seem to be playing in YouTube.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: Videos not playing

Apologize for the delay in reporting but the issue was resolved. Followed EdrickV's suggestion to disable hdwr acceleration. Since then 14.0.1 was released and I installed it. Think I tested the new version by re-enabling hdwr accel., thinking that the new version might have been designed in part to address the Flash video problem. Seems that vids were playing OK initially but evidently the problem reoccurred and I'm now running w/out hdwr accel. Anybody else experiencing this still? When will I be able to re-enable h.a.?

46 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Possibly YouTube also offers HTML5 video.

IF your problems are with FlashPlayer 11.3 that COULD be a known issue, currently affecting Firefox on Windows Vista or later.

Flash & Firefox developers have been working on the problem for a few days but whilst official advice updates seem to have dried up the currently recommended solution is to use Adobe's uninstaller to remove Flash 11.3 and then to install FlashPlayer 10.3or 11.2. Full instructions are included in Adobe Flash plugin has crashed - Prevent it from happening again

New Contributor

Thanks for the update. I've also tried (and am currently) working with Flash 11.2. Still no video.

Can you please keep me apprised of any developments?

Site Moderator

Does at least the flash player is shown as installed on the Tools > Add-ons > Plugins and on the aboutSmiley Tonguelugins page?

Site Moderator

Possibly you have some other problem that will need sorting out, but this ongoing problem with Firefox 1213 and FlashPlayer 11.3 is likely to complicate matters.

Ordinarily Firefox staff have recently been providing comments and updates on breaking issues like this, but for some reason comments on Flash 11.3 issues suddenly stopped leaving us guessing at what is going on.

Have a look at the standard advice, but modify it by remembering Flash 11.3 may NOT be a good idea until a permanent fix is made somehow for this problem

New Contributor

"but this ongoing problem with Firefox 12 ..."

I noted in my issue report that I'm using Firefox 13.0.1. Did you mis-type? Also, I'm currently using Flash 11.2 precisely to avoid any problems from 11.3.

New Contributor

"Does at least the flash player is shown as installed on the Tools > Add-ons > Plugins and on the aboutSmiley Tonguelugins page?"

Nope. Shockwave is listed but not Flash. Where's the "aboutSmiley Tonguelugins page" you referred to?

Site Moderator

You can open about:xxxx pages via the location (address) bar like you open a website.

But if you do not see the Flash plugin on the about:addons page then it won't show on aboutSmiley Tonguelugins as well.

Try to uninstall and reinstall Flash (run the installer Administrator via the right-click context menu).

You can find the latest Flash player for Firefox on this page.

If you can't get Flash 11.3 to work then you can try to revert to Flash 11.2 or Flash 10.3. You can download the Flash 11.2 player via this direct link:

New Contributor

Thanks for helping me find aboutSmiley Tonguelugins. However, Flash isn't present. As I said before, I went through the Flash 11.3 uninstall and eventually reinstalled to 11.2 (even tried running under 10.3 first). Any new ideas are welcome. Maybe John will have something to say to my reply to him...

Site Moderator

Try to create a new profile as a test to check if your current profile is causing the problems.

See "Basic Troubleshooting: Make a new profile":

There may be extensions and plugins installed by default in a new profile, so check that in "Tools > Add-ons > Extensions & Plugins" in case there are still problems.

If the new profile works then you can transfer some files from the old profile to that new profile, but be careful not to copy corrupted files.

See: