Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsorted Bookmarks in FF6.0 Can't Be remove or moved

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Unsorted Bookmarks in FF6.0 Can't Be remove or moved

I upgraded to new firefox 6 and there is this awful Unsorted Bookmarks in the Bookmark Menu. If is forced at the bottom which to me serves no purpose and is annoying. There seems to be no way to delete it or move to a location that you chose. It is nice to have new features, some people may like this, but to make them static so people who do not like this can't turn them off is not what firefox use to be like, it seems the are getting to be more like internet explorer. If there is a way to move or remove it it would be helpful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Forum Moderator

Re: Unsorted Bookmarks in FF6.0 Can't Be remove or moved

Sorry, that folder was added to that drop-down in Firefox 6.0 because other users complained that the Unsorted Bookmarks folder wasn't in that drop-down, and they didn't want to have to access that folder through the Sidebar or the Library window. Goes to show that you can't satisfy all users, all the time.

The Menu Editor extension hasn't worked for the Bookmarks menu since the Firefox 2 versions. IMO, it was never properly updated for the changes made to the bookmarks system for Firefox 3+ versions. We're probably lucky that it works at all this many years after the original developer stopped updating it himself.

This works for me at hiding for me in 6.0 in both the Menu Bar drop-down and the BTB Bookmarks button (doesn't remove the separator there). Either add it as a new script in Stylish or to a userChrome.css file you create.

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

/* Hide "Unsorted Bookmarks" in bookmarks toolbar menu button and the menu bar drop-down */
#menu_unsortedBookmarks,
#bookmarksMenuPopup > menuseparator[builder="end"]
{display:none!important;} 

#BMB_unsortedBookmarks {
  display: none !important }

I combined this user script with the script mentioned in one of the comments about this user script.
http://userstyles.org/styles/47840/hide-unsorted-bookmarks

21 REPLIES
Support Forum Moderator

The Unsorted Bookmarks folder has been a part of Firefox bookmarks since Firefox 3.0, it's not "new". The difference in Firefox 6.0 is that Unsorted Bookmarks now appears in the Bookmarks Menu Bar drop-down menu, where previously it only appeared in the Bookmarks Sidebar and the Library window.

New User

re: "it's not new. The difference in Firefox 6.0 is that Unsorted Bookmarks now appears in the Bookmarks Menu Bar drop-down menu..."

And that's annoying. Can it be removed from the Bookmarks menu. It takes up screen space. I never use it.

All Star

supplementary comments only -- please mark Ed's as the solution to your actual problem

The "Bookmarks Toolbar" folder is also in the Bookmarks menu and has a drop-down menu on it. The "Unsorted Bookmarks" folder shown at the bottom of the Bookmarks menu is strictly a link to displaying the "Unsorted Bookmarks" folder in the Library List. I never use the Bookmarks menu to look at bookmarks, nor the bookmark buttons, preferring the bookmarks sidebar ("Ctrl+B") or Library List ("Ctrl+Shift+B").

As far as removal of the single line goes, the "Menu Editor" extension does not touch the Bookmarks menu, so I think the problem is resolved by Ed's reply even if it is not the answer you were hoping for. Firefox did place a bookmark separator before it to help with the distinction.

My interpretation but for Ed's reply and the number of people reporting similar problems would have been an additional nesting and duplication that would be seen in the sidebar structure, along with duplicate search hits for everything by importing the same bookmarks, because all of the folders would have been added to the bottom of and within the Bookmarks Menu folder.

Help with Bookmarks

New User

I was never a fan of the side bar and turned that off when implemented, so the problem is it is in the drop down, with no way to turn it off, i no there is a sepeartor, but both are annoying, i would like an option to turn them off or remove them from teh drop down. I did check the menu editor program as soon as i saw this, and it does not have the bookmarks options to change which is a a shame.

New User

I was never a fan of the side bar and turned that off when implemented, so the problem is it is in the drop down, with no way to turn it off, i no there is a sepeartor, but both are annoying, i would like an option to turn them off or remove them from teh drop down. I did check the menu editor program as soon as i saw this, and it does not have the bookmarks options to change which is a a shame.

Support Forum Moderator

Sorry, that folder was added to that drop-down in Firefox 6.0 because other users complained that the Unsorted Bookmarks folder wasn't in that drop-down, and they didn't want to have to access that folder through the Sidebar or the Library window. Goes to show that you can't satisfy all users, all the time.

The Menu Editor extension hasn't worked for the Bookmarks menu since the Firefox 2 versions. IMO, it was never properly updated for the changes made to the bookmarks system for Firefox 3+ versions. We're probably lucky that it works at all this many years after the original developer stopped updating it himself.

This works for me at hiding for me in 6.0 in both the Menu Bar drop-down and the BTB Bookmarks button (doesn't remove the separator there). Either add it as a new script in Stylish or to a userChrome.css file you create.

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

/* Hide "Unsorted Bookmarks" in bookmarks toolbar menu button and the menu bar drop-down */
#menu_unsortedBookmarks,
#bookmarksMenuPopup > menuseparator[builder="end"]
{display:none!important;} 

#BMB_unsortedBookmarks {
  display: none !important }

I combined this user script with the script mentioned in one of the comments about this user script.
http://userstyles.org/styles/47840/hide-unsorted-bookmarks

Site Moderator

Support Forum Moderator

Posted to userstyles.org as a Stylish User Style.
http://userstyles.org/styles/52579

New User

Get rid of it. I don't like and I don't want it. I did not have the problem before I upgraded to 6.0. You would think after all these years I would know not to upgrade when things are working perfectly. Software writers insist on screwing up a perfectly good program, just because they can. Please get rid of this annoying piece of crap.