Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to bookmark sites

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Unable to bookmark sites

I'm running Firefox on Windows 8. I am unable to get bookmarks to load. I follow the normal method, either clicking onBookmark this Page or ctrl +d, then clicking on the approriate folder in the drop-down menu, then clicking Done. The bookmark is not there. I have tried troubleshooting and delted places sqlite. Nope. Any ideas? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: Unable to bookmark sites

Problem solved. There was a copy of the Myname bookmark in the Bookmarks drop-down, and all my new bookmarks were going there, not to the one of the same name on the Bookmarks toolbar. Why this happened I don't know because the copy has been there a long time. Perhaps when I recently started using a new computer with windows 8, something changed. No idea. But I can bookmark with happiness. thanks to all for wanting to help me.

6 REPLIES
All Star Contributor

Did you shut down Firefox before deleting places.sqlite from the profile? Those files are not removable if Firefox is still running. This page might help. Look under "Problems limited to bookmarks".

New Contributor

Yes, I closed Firefox. You can't delete places.sqlite if Firefox is still running. Thanks for the link which I'll get to shortly and report.

Site Moderator

Make sure to delete all places files in the Firefox profile folder with Firefox closed.

Can you otherwise create a new bookmark?

You can create a new profile as a test to check if your current profile is causing the problems.

See "Creating a profile":

If the new profile works then you can transfer some files from an existing profile to the new profile, but be careful not to copy corrupted files.

New Contributor

Yes, I can create a bookmark using a work-around. I drag the site from the navigation bar to the bookmarks bar where I have, among others, my personal directory with sub-directories for many uses. Once I've dragged to the bar, I can then drag to a sub-directory.

I removed all places files and it made no difference.

New Contributor

cor-el, The links you've provided are thorough, but leave me a little confused. If I create a new profile and find it is allowing me to bookmark sites, how do I figure which files are corrupted? I'm also not sure what I lose by doing so. Would it be simpler simply to remove Firefox from my computer and download a fresh copy?

thanks.

New Contributor

Problem solved. There was a copy of the Myname bookmark in the Bookmarks drop-down, and all my new bookmarks were going there, not to the one of the same name on the Bookmarks toolbar. Why this happened I don't know because the copy has been there a long time. Perhaps when I recently started using a new computer with windows 8, something changed. No idea. But I can bookmark with happiness. thanks to all for wanting to help me.