Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Typing in URL bar causes Firefox to hang

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Typing in URL bar causes Firefox to hang

Firefox has begun hanging whenever I type into the URL bar. Firefox will start normally, but this problem will invariably occur soon after it has finished loading. It appears that I am able to stop Firefox from hanging if I resize the browser window.

However, the only way that I have been able to work out how to prevent the problem is by using Firefox in Safe Mode. I have tried disabling various add-ons, resetting Firefox, reverting to a previous version, and even restoring my computer to an earlier restore point, and the problem persists.

Internet Explorer functions without any errors on the same computer. Is there anything I can do except hope that a new version of Firefox does not have the same problem?

Thanks,

Gregortz

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Typing in URL bar causes Firefox to hang

Try to disable hardware acceleration in Firefox.

4 REPLIES
New Contributor

Extensions are a common cause of Firefox problems, including hangs, slowdowns, or periodic freezes. Check the list of problematic extensions to see if it is a known issue and go through the standard diagnostic steps related to extension issues to see if an extension is causing Firefox to hang.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs#Hang_loading_websites_when_using_an_automatic_proxy_configur...

Site Moderator

Try to disable hardware acceleration in Firefox.

New Contributor

That seems to have solved the problem. Thanks cor-el!

New Contributor

I had a similar problem with Firefox hanging when using internet banking. The bank home page displayed ok, click on 'sign in' and second page displayed ok. Entered banking code, press 'submit' and Firefox hung. Did the same thing in IE9 and it worked ok. I tried the fix for this problem, 'disable hardware acceleration' and Firefox now works fine. (I am not a technical person, so no idea why this worked, just pleased I found the answer here)