cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Type Error: Yahoo.widget.overlay is not a constructor. Only get error in Firefox, and started this morning.

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Type Error: Yahoo.widget.overlay is not a constructor. Only get error in Firefox, and started this morning.

There was an automatic Windows update this morning. Since then, I get the error message "TypeError: Yahoo.widget.overlay is not a constructor" when I open up certain websites, such as ancestry.com. Other sites, such as Facebook, don't work at all. Everything appears scrambled when I open the website. Other sites appear to not be affected, although I haven't done more than open them up. These errors are only occurring with Firefox, and not with IE. IE still works just fine.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: Type Error: Yahoo.widget.overlay is not a constructor. Only get error in Firefox, and started this morning.

A friend just gave me a tip which solved this problem. I went to the Options menu, Content, and unchecked the box that said "Enable Java Script." I have no idea why this worked, but it solved the problem and all the websites appear to be working fine again.

4 REPLIES
New Contributor

Re: Type Error: Yahoo.widget.overlay is not a constructor. Only get error in Firefox, and started this morning.

I have the same problem, Firefox 15 Windows 7 64 Bit

Site Moderator

Sounds like a problem with an Yahoo extension (toolbar)

Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).

• Do not click the Reset button on the Safe mode start window or otherwise make changes.
New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately it didn't work. The same problems occur in safe mode as well.

New Contributor

A friend just gave me a tip which solved this problem. I went to the Options menu, Content, and unchecked the box that said "Enable Java Script." I have no idea why this worked, but it solved the problem and all the websites appear to be working fine again.