cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tried updating to newest firefox but it tells me the file is corrupt. HELP!

Highlighted
New User

Tried updating to newest firefox but it tells me the file is corrupt. HELP!

What can I do? I tried both going through firefox and tried downloading from mozilla direct.

21 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: Tried updating to newest firefox but it tells me the file is corrupt. HELP!

It is possible that your anti-virus software is corrupting the downloaded files or otherwise interfering with downloading files by Firefox. Try to disable the real-time (live) scanning of files in your anti-virus software temporarily to see if that makes downloading work.

See "Disable virus scanning in Firefox preferences - Windows"

If there are problems with updating then best is to download the full version and uninstall the currently installed version and delete the Firefox program folder to remove any leftover files.

Download a fresh Firefox copy and save the file to the desktop.

Uninstall your current Firefox version, if possible.

• Do NOT remove personal data when you uninstall your current Firefox version, because all profile folders will be removed and you will also lose your personal data like bookmarks and passwords from profiles of other Firefox versions.

Remove the Firefox program folder before installing that newly downloaded copy of the Firefox installer.

Your bookmarks and other profile data are stored elsewhere in the Firefox Profile Folder and won't be affected by a reinstall, but make sure that you do not select to remove personal data if you uninstall Firefox.

New User

I have disabled the virus scan and all. It isn't the download that says is corrupt it is when trying to install.

Legend

-> Uninstall your current Firefox as described in this article -> Uninstall Firefox from your computer

• DO NOT SELECT TO REMOVE USER DATA AND SETTINGS
  • Restart your system

-> Download latest Firefox 12 from the following link using some other Web Browser:

-> Install Firefox as described in this article -> How to download and install Firefox on Windows

Check and tell if its working.

New User

No Go! SEE... No what? Do Mozzilla staff look here any?

2012-05-10-11-00-36-78a504.png
Legend

Delete all earlier downloaded Firefox setup files. Re-Download Firefox 12 setup (DON'T RUN THE SETUP YET)

After your download of Firefox 12 is complete, Restart your Windows in Safe Mode

Now try to install Firefox using the setup file you downloaded before restarting your system.

Check and tell if its working.

New User

Tried that one as well already. Next idea?

Legend

Was it showing the same error message even when running your Windows Vista in Safe Mode  ??

New User

yes same error message

Legend

1. Are you able to download any other file from some other website ??
  2. Are you able to open the downloaded file ??

OR is it displaying the same error message on any file that you try to open after downloading them ??