Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top Sites not showing up on New Tab

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Top Sites not showing up on New Tab

I just updated to the new version FF 13.0 and the new feature that uses the history to display the top most visited sites on the new tab is not working. When I open a new tab it is blank, I tried pulling a site from my bookmarks and letting it load and then opening a new tab and it did show up, but when I went to pin it, it disappeared.

I have been using the "pin as app tab" feature from the previous version, but would like to try the new feature with the new tab page.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: Top Sites not showing up on New Tab

Thanks for the help Verdi, but that wasn't my problem. The thumbnails are blank, they do not link to any websites.

I figured out my problem though, in options I did not have the option checked to remember my browsing and download history. Once I checked that it started to keep track and when I open the new tab the top sites start to show up.

17 REPLIES
Shooting Star Contributor

Maybe you have the new tab feature turned off? There is a toggle button in the upper-right corner. Also it's possible for the thumbnails to get deleted (will be fixed in Fx 14). Check out these references:

New Contributor

I guess it is possible that they got cleared when I updated to the new version, but how long will it take before the cache starts to build back up and the sites start to show on the new tab?

Shooting Star Contributor

Open the new tab page, click on an empty thumbnail and let that site fully load. Then open another new tab page and that thumbnail should be restored. Rinse and repeat.

More details in - The thumbnails on the New Tab page are missing - how to get them back

New Contributor

Thanks for the help Verdi, but that wasn't my problem. The thumbnails are blank, they do not link to any websites.

I figured out my problem though, in options I did not have the option checked to remember my browsing and download history. Once I checked that it started to keep track and when I open the new tab the top sites start to show up.

New Contributor

I have the same problem " the new tab feature in ff 13.0 " does not appear the images of the small tabs and my history browser does not deleted >

any one help me ....

Site Moderator

Is the browsing cache enabled and working?

• Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Offline Storage

You can also open the about:cache via the location bar to check the current cache usage.

New Contributor

yes the browsing cache is enabled .... and still the same problem without showing the images .... ?

Site Moderator

You can try to clear the cache folder on disk to see if that help.
You can see the location on the about:cache page.

If that didn't help then try a new profile.

Create a new profile as a test to check if your current profile is causing the problems.

See "Basic Troubleshooting: Make a new profile":

There may be extensions and plugins installed by default in a new profile, so check that in "Tools > Add-ons > Extensions & Plugins" in case there are still problems.

If the new profile works then you can transfer some files from the old profile to that new profile, but be careful not to copy corrupted files.

See:

New Contributor

I have the same problem and it solved by this way :-

The solution for your problem is to reset firefox .... from help menu ..click on troubleshooting information and click on reset firefox  ;;;

see the link :

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems