I got a "sec_error_expired_issuer_certificate" on Firefox nightly. I have been look all over the forum for this problem with redundant answers such as setting the correct date & time, removing "cert8.db" file, etc.
Just to let anyone know that: - My time & date is already correct. - I already removed "cert8.db" file. - Don't have any malware. - Don't have any firewall or antivirus that would have blocked this. - Am not using proxy. - Have successfully open Gmail & Yahoo Mail on other browser (which I am reluctant to use). ~ All of these as answer to the various suggestion I have noted throughout the forum.
The certificate stated that it expired on 18/10/2013, however, I was able to access both webmail earlier this month, until it won't open on my next session a week later. I dismissed it as the webmail's problem until I became fed up and convinced that it wasn't. The stupid thing was that to post this, I would have to create an account with an email verification, but then I couldn't open my email's webmail which makes posting impossible. Thankfully, the other browser worked, allowing me to verify a new account. Can anyone please help me with a REAL WORKING solution. Thank you...
hello Reiden, can you try it with a new profile? (and please also double-check your system's date & time, since it is the most predominant cause for this error code): Use the Profile Manager to create and remove Firefox profiles
Hello Philipp. That method has crossed my mind but then I'm rather reluctant as I would lose all settings. But I'll try it as a test anyway. As for the system's date & time; unless the current date & time in reality as shown in my system clock setting is not 28/10/2013, 02:10 AM, GMT +07:00, Give or take marginal error in minutes then, no. My system clock is as should be as I stated previously. Thanks.
I apologize for that. That was actually a typo. I meant to actually write it as November and not numerical. I already triple checked the system time and it really is the current date. So...what's left now?
At least I can still open Google, Google+, Google Play & YouTube. So if there was an incoming email, It would show up on the notification.
I also find it hard to believe that Gmail & Yahoo Mail would have an expired certificate at the date around the present time. though maybe that isn't the issue.
Check out why the site is untrusted (click "Technical Details to expand that section) and if this is caused by a missing intermediate certificate then see if you can install this intermediate certificate from another source.
You can retrieve the certificate and check details like who issued certificates and expiration dates of certificates.
Let Firefox retrieve the certificate: "Add Exception" -> "Get Certificate".
You can see more Details like intermediate certificates that are used in the Details pane.
If "I Understand the Risks" is missing then this page may be opened in an (i)frame and in that case try the right-click context menu and use "This Frame: Open Frame in New Tab".
Note that some firewalls monitor secure (https) connections and send their own certificate instead of the website's certificate.
Try to rename the cert8.db file in the Firefox profile folder to cert8.db.old or delete the cert8.db file to remove intermediate certificates that Firefox has stored.
If that helped to solve the problem then you can remove the renamed cert8.db.old file. Otherwise you can rename (or copy) the cert8.db.old file to cert8.db to restore the previous intermediate certificates. Firefox will automatically store intermediate certificates when you visit websites that send such a certificate.
If that didn't help then remove or rename secmod.db (secmod.db.old) as well.