cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Themes no longer function since auto update to firefox 20

SOLVED
Highlighted

Themes no longer function since auto update to firefox 20

When firefox automatically updated to version 20, it caused the themes to no longer function. They install correctly, it says the theme is enabled, but it still looks like the plain default blue. Doesn't matter what theme I use or if I try to use the personas add-on. Nothing changes the look.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Themes no longer function since auto update to firefox 20

Make sure that you do not run Firefox in (permanent) Private Browsing mode.

• Tools > Options > Privacy > Firefox will: "Use custom settings for history"
  • Deselect: [ ] "Always use private browsing mode"
22 REPLIES
SUMO Contributor

If you disable the Personas Plus extension, can you manually change themes on the Appearance tab?

To disable an extension:

orange Firefox button (or Tools menu) > Add-ons > Extensions category

To change themes:

orange Firefox button (or Tools menu) > Add-ons > Appearance category

Similar thread from yesterday: When I select a new Persona I doesn't Change..why?

No, it wont let me manually change the themes. I only tried the Personas extension after the themes wouldn't work as is. I know how to disable extensions and change themes manually and none of them work.

SUMO Contributor

I'm not sure what is blocking this feature on your Firefox. Could you start testing by disabling ALL extensions? Or you might try Firefox's Safe Mode.

Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled

In the dialog, click "Start in Safe Mode."

More info on Safe Mode: Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode.

Any difference in your ability to change among themes?

Site Moderator

Make sure that you do not run Firefox in (permanent) Private Browsing mode.

• Tools > Options > Privacy > Firefox will: "Use custom settings for history"
  • Deselect: [ ] "Always use private browsing mode"
New User

What if we want to remain in Permanent Private Browsing Mode? We can't have themes anymore? Seems unfair.

SUMO Contributor

Hi NovaTheDryer, this should be fixed in Firefox 21. I don't whether it can/will be fixed any sooner.

New User

Definitely agree with NovatheDryer. This is unfair to those of us who wish to browse in private. I encourage all others who are reading this to make an account and voice your opinion as well.

A few days ago my themes worked perfectly fine. Apparently the only solution is to stop using private browsing. Hopefully what jscher said is true, and this is resolved in the next firefox. How long will that be though? Possibly a year? That is unacceptable really.

This is what I do not understand, why must companies constantly tweak their products when no changes are needed? I will tell you. They hire on staff and feel like they have to give them something to do. Not a day goes by when at least one site breaks something due to their own internal development teams messing around with features and codes, most of which are not actually needed, nor are they improvements. In fact, most of the times the only changes we notice are the BUGS. Every day we log in and either flash, mozilla, facebook, twitter, youtube, etc. breaks something due to the constant need for the developers to feel like they are doing something.

In closing, I am almost certain that the world of developers has never once stopped to take heed regarding the old adage: "If it isn't broke, DON'T FIX IT". Somehow those words are like poison to a developers ears. Mostly because it would mean they would be out of a job. So we, the users, are faced with day to day conflictings issues from an assault of ruthless developers trying to implement every single new feature that crawls its filthy way out of some twisted internet tube. My final words, hey developers on Earth, take a chill pill! Go have a vacation and stop messing around, please?

SUMO Contributor

Hi Secretcloud, a new version of Firefox is released every 6 weeks. Firefox 21 is in beta testing now and I'm not aware of anything that would change the schedule.

Regarding the change to how private browsing works, many people wanted the ability to continue in their normal browsing session and just open a new window for private browsing rather than having them be completely separate sessions. That's what was broken and needed fixing.

Site Moderator

There is hope:

• bug 852295 - LW Themes do not display in Permanent Private Browsing mode post Per-Window PB

(please do not comment in bug reports: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html)