cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still having problems opening PDFs in Firefox

Highlighted
New User

Still having problems opening PDFs in Firefox

I have the latest version of Firefox (15.0.1) on my mac, and even though I have followed the instructions for updating the preferences to use Adobe Acrobat to open my pdfs, I am still having troubles with getting only a blank page when I try to open a pdf from Firefox. Could it be because I use Adobe Professional instead of Adobe Reader? What else can I try to fix this problem?

5 REPLIES
Mozilla Support Contributor

Re: Still having problems opening PDFs in Firefox

Hi karenwfrazier,

Try Reset download actions and check it again.

If the above did not solve the issue try Re-initializing the plugins database .

see also : Can't view PDF on the web

thank you

Site Moderator

Try to disable the Adobe Reader plugin in Firefox and use the external Adobe Reader application or Preview application instead.

• Firefox > Preferences > Applications > Adobe PDF document : Use Adobe Reader

PDF files may also be found under another entry like Portable document.

New User

Thanks for the suggestions, but no luck...

@ideato — I tried both of your suggestions, but I am still getting a blank page. I don't think the problem is with Adobe Professional, because I am able to open pdfs from both Chrome and Safari.

@cor-el — I tried that before I posted my question, based on suggestions to previous forum posters.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Site Moderator

Did you try to delete the mimeTypes.rdf file in the Firefox Profile Folder to reset all file actions?

You can use this button to go to the Firefox profile folder:

• Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Show Folder
New User

Hi cor-el, Yes, I have deleted the mimeTypes.rdf twice (ideato above suggested it).

When I try to open a pdf, I still get a blank webpage with "about:blank" in the navigation bar. Do you know of any other reasons why this might be happening?

thanks!