cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting today, Firefox will not open Adobe Acrobat files in Adobe Reader, despite my putting Reader as default in Applications tab.

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Starting today, Firefox will not open Adobe Acrobat files in Adobe Reader, despite my putting Reader as default in Applications tab.

Until today, I had no trouble opening Adobe Acrobat files with Adobe Reader 9.5. (I need to use an old version of Adobe Reader, because I use a program called Macro Express that does not recognize later versions.) Starting this morning, when I click on an Acrobat file, I am asked which program I want to open it with. Even when I click "Do this automatically...", it doesn't do so. It asks me every time. I went into Tools, Applications, and changed all of the pdf related issues to open with Adobe Reader 9.5. This also doesn't work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Starting today, Firefox will not open Adobe Acrobat files in Adobe Reader, despite my putting Reader as default in Applications tab.

go to firefox options > applications & define the default action for the portable document format (pdf).

View PDF files in Firefox

2013-02-21-13-19-40-437175.png
14 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Starting today, Firefox will not open Adobe Acrobat files in Adobe Reader, despite my putting Reader as default in Applications tab.

Hi KevinBrau,
you could try the Adobe Reader plugin for Firefox. Details on how to use it can be found in this article:

Use the Adobe Reader plugin to view or download PDF files

Also, have a look at this article:
Hope that helped you! Please report back!

New User

Firefox 19 will not open Abode Acrobat in an external Acrobat window. The document is opened within the browser but not as an Acrobat document as far as I can tell - I can't save it and the text is fuzzy (screen shot enclosed). This just started with version 19. I don't have any acrobat plugins, my Acrobat internet preference is unchecked for open in browser, and Acrobat 9.5 is set as the default program to open pdfs in applications. Internet Explorer opens identical pages directly into Acrobat, and not within the browser. This seems to be a FF19 issue. The only other issue is that I had a failed Javascript update installation earlier today (FF19 was installed automatically today as well). Any help would be welcomed. thanks

2013-02-20-15-33-32-7145a9.png
New User

This is a new build-in feature together with Firefox 19.

Site Moderator

go to firefox options > applications & define the default action for the portable document format (pdf).

2013-02-21-13-19-40-437175.png
New User

Thank you for letting me know about the built-in pdf reader in FF19.

However it takes some doing to be able to use Acrobat to view the files externally. Simply setting the options for pdfs to open in Acrobat does not work - I already had checked this setting to make certain that it pointed to Acrobat for pdfs. What I had to do was two things:

1) In the config file I had to set pdfjs to true, as detailed in the above kb link 2) I had to enable an Acrobat plug-in

With this I can now click on a pdf link in the browser and have it open externally in Acrobat.

At least this worked for the one PC that I got to work, which has Acrobat 10 and an Acrobat 10 plugin. Firefox does not like the Acrobat 9.4 plugin, so I'm not sure that I will be able to get this to work on my machine with Acrobat 9.4.

It would certainly be nice if FF fixed the built-in viewer so that it obeyed the options settings, or included some other easy fix. This was apparently a bug in the past but supposedly had been fixed.

If all else fails then I discovered that the built-in pdf reader has an action button that will allow download of the document.

New User

What I did was to reinstall/upgrade Adobe Reader, then there is an new option showing up in Firefox > options > applications > Portable Document Format(PDF), which is "use adobe acrobat in Firefox". Choose this one, then I managed again to open PDF files with Adobe Reader internally in Firefox.

Site Moderator

Try to delete the mimeTypes.rdf file in the Firefox Profile Folder to reset all file actions.

New User

Starting today, Firefox will not open Adobe Acrobat files in Adobe Reader, despite my putting Reader as default in Applications tab. I have the same problem. I have performed most of the above suggestions except the last one which is too complicated. Can't Mozilla fix this problem. I am only able to print pdf files if I first download them. Please help.

New User

Thank you! I thought that I was losing my mind. C'mon developers, this is kind of a biggie. I went back to ver 18.x until this is fixed.

I got ver 19 to work thanks to the suggestions above from the 'Tools, Options, Applications' menu and re-set all instances of 'Content Type' to use the Reader directly. I'll try it with the later suggestion of re-configuring the 'Portable Document Format' to Adobe Acrobat in Firefox. I have a Professional version of Adobe and have to admit that I rather like opening these documents directly in Adobe Pro with access to the full range of menu functions.

I was reminded of the usefulness of manually configuring how Firefox handles applications from this 'ladybug'. But hey, my preferences still don't help the unsuspecting users who suddenly discover that the Reader won't work at all.  :-).

Thanks, again, for the totally excellent help.