cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Since August 2013, Firefox is lagging and using too much PF Usage after 1 hour

Highlighted
New User

Since August 2013, Firefox is lagging and using too much PF Usage after 1 hour

For roughly the last two months(Since August 2013), Firefox has been sucking really bad! Once I have a Firefox window open and running, it always uses more and more PF Usage and CPU usage. It eventually gets to the point where CPU usage is always at 50% or more. After 1-2 hours, PF usage goes up over 1GB.

I never ever had a problem like this with Firefox until early August 2013. What happened?!?!?!? What has changed with Firefox in the last 2-3 months?

Lastly....what is the PERMANENT fix for this ongoing problem? One time recently, I reset Firefox to factory settings and it seemed to help....for about a week to 10 days. Not doing that again as I lost too many settings in the process! I am tired of having to "End Task" every 2 hours and start over!!!!

36 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Since August 2013, Firefox is lagging and using too much PF Usage after 1 hour

You should possibly try to create a new profile using this: Creating a profile

--Tobbi

New User

Re: Since August 2013, Firefox is lagging and using too much PF Usage after 1 hour

What does creating a profile have to do with Firefox MALFUNCTIONING and chewing up CPU usage and PF usage?

That has nothing to do with the Firefox problem unless I'm missing the linkage here. Thank you.

Site Moderator

Please first update to Firefox 24 Update Firefox to the latest version

And then Reset Firefox to ensure that the issue isn't caused by a third-party program or corrupt files, Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings

New User

I updated to FF24 yesterday after I posted the first thread, but the problem still persists today. I just had to End Task for firefox because it was hanging a lot, & using too much PF and CPU after one hour of having FF open and running.

Site Moderator

Did you install any (new) extensions in Firefox?

Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).

• Do NOT click the Reset button on the Safe Mode start window.

Which security software (firewall, anti-virus) do you have?

Boot the computer in Windows Safe mode with network support (press F8 on the boot screen) as a test to see if that helps.

New User

I've installed nothing new on to Firefox. Firefox had been GREAT up until August 2013. I changed nothing on my end, but Firefox has changed something for the worse. In a typical 8 hour day I have to "End Task" on Firefox at least 3 times otherwise it becomes too slow to use.

I have Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Firewall.

I tried booting in Firefox Safe Mode with extensions disabled. Might have been a tad better, but not as good as it used to be.

Anyone have additional info on this problem? I see I'm not the only person experiencing this when searching!

New User

This problem still continues to this day! I used to think Firefox was great....but now it has become a big P.O.S!!!!!!!! Firefox SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have reset Firefox to factory specs and the problem is not getting any better. I have to "End Task" on this P.O.S. Firefox at least 4 times per day....because it bogs down so bad!!!!!!!!!!!

C'MON FIREFOX, GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR @$$ AND RETURN FIREFOX BROWSER TO IT'S FORMERLY GREAT SELF. WHAT IS THE FIX FOR THIS ALREADY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

New User

Problem STILL persists. What the H Firefox? Why have you gone from a top rate browser that worked flawlessly to a POS browser that uses too much memory and PF.

I have reset Firefox to factory settings and the problem is still here!

WHAT IS THE FIX FOR THIS?

moderator removed the excessive punctuation

N/A

mattt,

The people who answer questions here, for the most part, are other Firefox users volunteering their time (like me), not Mozilla employees or Firefox developers. Please treat people like you'd want to be treated yourself!

You could try creating a new profile by following this: Creating a profile