Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search engines won't work on Firefox 15

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Search engines won't work on Firefox 15

I recently installed FF 15 from FF 13 and when i did, the search engines on the top right corner disappeared. I clicked on the down arrow and there weren't any search engines left. I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox at least 3 times and nothing changed. I tried creating another profile, deleting the "sqlite" files from my folder, checked for malware, and updating my plugins but nothing worked. I don't know what else to try to resolve this issue. I would gladly appreciate some help as to how to resolve this problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Search engines won't work on Firefox 15

Try to reinstall Firefox to restore the default search engines and download a fresh Firefox copy and save the file to the desktop.

Uninstall your current Firefox version, if possible, to cleanup the Windows registry and settings in security software.

You may need to remove the Firefox program folder before installing that newly downloaded copy of the Firefox installer if you keep having problems with disappearing search engines

Your bookmarks and other profile data are stored in the Firefox Profile Folder and won't be affected by an uninstall and (re)install, but make sure that "remove personal data" is NOT selected when you uninstall Firefox.

7 REPLIES
Legendary Contributor

Even in the new profile (which is as close to a new installation as you can get), the search engine plugins failed to show up?

Can you install a new search engine plugin from the the add-ons site?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search-tools/

Or if you go to the Mycroft site and try to install a new search engine plugin, does that work?

http://mycroft.mozdev.org/

New Contributor

Yes, when i made a new profile, the search engines didn't show up. I tried to add search engines and they worked for about 10 minutes. Then, they disappeared. I could manually add search engines by going to the website and clicking add "website's name" but it would disappear a few minutes later. And when i opened up a new Firefox window all of the search engines I previously added were missing again. Also, when i go to the about:home page, I am able to type text in but nothing happens when i click on the search button?

Site Moderator

Try to delete the search.sqlite and search.json files in the Firefox Profile Folder.

Do you still see the default search engine's XML files in the searchplugins folder in the Firefox program folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\) ?

New Contributor

I only found the "search.json" file. I deleted it but the search engines still won't work. I don't see the default search engines such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo. But I do see the ones a added even thought they won't show up when I open Firefox.

Site Moderator

Try to reinstall Firefox to restore the default search engines and download a fresh Firefox copy and save the file to the desktop.

Uninstall your current Firefox version, if possible, to cleanup the Windows registry and settings in security software.

You may need to remove the Firefox program folder before installing that newly downloaded copy of the Firefox installer if you keep having problems with disappearing search engines

Your bookmarks and other profile data are stored in the Firefox Profile Folder and won't be affected by an uninstall and (re)install, but make sure that "remove personal data" is NOT selected when you uninstall Firefox.

New Contributor

Thank you so much! I deleted all the files from my computer and uninstalled it, then re-installed it and it fixed the problem! All of the search engines are back and everything is normal now. Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help!

Site Moderator

You're welcome