Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scroll bar is missing

Highlighted
New Contributor

Scroll bar is missing

Hello,

My horizontal scroll bar is missing and disabled. Ive tried using overflow-x:scroll, overflow-x: auto, all of it. The scroll bar appears but is disabled. It works in Chrome and IE

What's up. Why would you disable the scroll bars? This makes NO sense.

20 REPLIES
Regular Contributor

Re: Scroll bar is missing

Go to Google and search for something. Is there a scrollbar there?

New Contributor

Yes there is a scroll bar there. There has always been a scroll bar there.

New Contributor

html {overflow-x: scroll;} Does not work in any browser.

Site Moderator

Is the scroll bar only missing on that specific page (website) or does it happen more often?

Can you post a link to a public page that doesn't require authentication (log in) to access it?

New Contributor

Allpages, All websites.

No, this is an internal w/s that requires id's and pw's.

But I see this problem posted all over the place. They say to use the html overflow-x. But that doesnt work. I can use form overflow-x and it works, but looks horrible.

What ever has been done to remove the horizontal scroll, MUST be undone ASAP. That was a really bad idea.

Legendary Contributor

How exactly did you implement the style rule?

In case it is being overridden by another rule, you could try adding !important. For example, if you are adding the rule to your documents:

<style type="text/css"> html{overflow-x:scroll !important;} </style>

Edit: Of course, the bar will be grayed out if the content is not wide enough to "overflow" the viewport.

Site Moderator

New Contributor

I used the important rule also. Doesnt work either.

PLEASE !!! Put the horizontal scroll back in PLEASE!!!

I dont use FF, It doesnt use webkit, so it's of no use to me. But I have die hard FF clients that do.

PLEASE !!! Put the horizontal scroll back in PLEASE!!!

This was an extremely bad move

Legendary Contributor

I haven't noticed the horizontal scroll bar missing from any sites. If there's no way to access your internal site for troubleshooting, we should at least rule out any potential conflicts with add-ons.

A standard diagnostic for that is to try Firefox's Safe Mode.

First, I recommend backing up your Firefox settings in case something goes wrong. See Back up and restore information in Firefox profiles. (You can copy your entire Firefox profile folder somewhere outside of the Mozilla folder.)

Next, restart Firefox in Firefox's Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode using

Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled

In the Safe Mode dialog, do not check any boxes, just click "Continue in Safe Mode."

If the horizontal scroll bar works correctly, this usually implicates one of your add-ons or custom settings as the problem.

If the bar is still missing in action, then someone would need to take a closer look at the HTML/CSS.