Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Save Image As' keeps changing directories

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

'Save Image As' keeps changing directories

'Save Image As' keeps changing the location it's saving the file. As I'm going through various pages and saving certain images, I notice that sometimes it saves where I'm expecting it to, (the location I most recently selected while saving an image), but very often, in the same session (meaning I haven't closed and restarted FF), it decides to change the location to a directory I've used earlier, instead of where it just saved the previous file.

I thought it might be a scenario something like, I open tabs 1 - 5, save images to location A. Then I save a file to location B, open up pages 6 - 10, save a file to location A again. At this point I expect that my files will default to location A, but maybe pages 6 - 10 now have location B associated with them and they will default there instead. I just tested that and that's not it.

It's also not extension (ie .jpg, .gif) that forces the change of location. I can't figure out what triggers it.

Does anyone know if there is another about:config setting that we can change, (which the next FF upgrade in 5 minutes will undoubtedly override) to restore proper behavior?

This behavior started with the upgrade to FF 7.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: 'Save Image As' keeps changing directories

@sgtsixpack

To open the about:config page, type about:config in the location (address) bar and press the "Enter" key, just like you type the url of a website to open a website.

If you see a warning then you can confirm that you want to access the about:config page.
You can create a new Boolean pref via the right-click context menu with the name browser.download.lastDir.savePerSite and set the value to false.

• Use the Search (Filter) bar at the top of the about:config page to locate preferences more easily.
  • Preferences that have been modified show as bold (user set).
  • Preferences can be reset to the default via the right-click context menu if they are user set
  • Preferences can be changed via the right-click context menu: Modify (String or Integer) or Toggle (Boolean) or by double-clicking the line with the pref
65 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Do all files have the same file extension?

Firefox may be remembering the location for each type individually and change to the last used folder for each file type.

New User

Thanks for the idea, but as I said in the first post, it's not the extension that's triggering it.

Site Moderator

Maybe the MIME type that is send with the file causes it.

You can see the MIME type of files in the Download Manager with the SQLite Manager extension.

1. Open formhistory.sqlite (Select Profile Database)
  2. Open Tables > moz_formhistory
New User

Can you explain what you're thinking? There is no way that any of this should cause FF 7 to change it's 'save image as' directories on the fly.

No previous version of FF did this. It's not standard behavior with any browser. There is nothing documenting this behavior, but I have found at least one other person up here now reporting the same behavior. It's either an intentional change, or it's a bug. I didn't bookmark the other post, and I'm trying to find it now.

Here's one, but there's at least one more: https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/886122

New User

Here's another:

https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/882443

I thought I'd found it, but nope.

There's a setting: browser. download. folderList

Description: "Which of several internally-specified locations to use for the default download directory

0: the desktop

1 (default): the downloads folder

2: the last folder specified for a download

Note: In Firefox, this can be changed via "Tools → Options → Main / Downloads → Save files to... (Firefox 2 and above) or Downloads/Download Folder → Save all files to this folder" (Firefox 1.5). "

It was set to 1, even though it wasn't exhibiting that behavior. I changed it to 2, but it hasn't helped.

New User

More information.

The problem is in fact based on the server on which the image resides. Goto a blogspot site which has images. Hover over the images in order to see the link in the status bar (yes, you will have had to re-instate the status bar they removed from FF), or simply open any of the images.

You'll see that the server looks something like:  3.bp.blogspot.com  another image may be from 4.bp.blogspot.com or 7.bp.blogspot.com

If you change your 'save to' directory for one of these files, it will remember it for that server source until it's changed again. However, for each of the other server sources, it will remember it's last saved directory, and if there wasn't one, it will default back to your default directory, in my case, Downloads.

So say I've downloaded 5 files (from 1.bp.blogspot - 5.bp.blogspot) and set the directory to 'images/A'

I now go to download more but want them in a different directory. For the first file, of course I have to change to 'images/B' If the next file is coming from the same server, it remembers the new folder. If it's from one of the many other servers though it defaults to images/A and I have to manually change it to images/B - in fact, I'll have to do that for every single file coming from different servers.

This is a nasty little bug and a huge pain in the ass, and needs to be reported as a bug.

New User

FF7.0.1/win7 pro x64 Same problem, described on https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/887827

This "changing download directories" behaviour comes first with FF7, never seen before!

Any idea?

New User

All I've been able to figure out is that it's based on the server the file is coming from. FF7 seems to want to remember a different 'save to' folder for each server. See my example above.

The only work-around I've come up with until it's fixed is that I save all files into only one directory. That keeps me from having to pay very close attention for each file, I don't have to constantly change directories while saving and I don't lose files any more.

I keep several file system windows open, one pointing to my now 'download directory' and the others to the various directories where the files should actually go. After downloading bunch of files for one 'group', I move them into the proper directory, then move on to the next set. It's a bit of a pain, but it saves me a lot of frustration.

FF needs to fix this bug though. The work-around is not ideal.

Site Moderator

macahi,

From this thread and the other it appears reporters are certain at least two distinct bugs exist. May I suggest then that as a developer of >25 years experience that you visit https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ and file bugs, then post the links back in these threads so others may follow your progress with them.