cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STILL NOT SOLVED. So...What Is Going On With Java And How Do I Update It?

Highlighted
New Contributor

STILL NOT SOLVED. So...What Is Going On With Java And How Do I Update It?

So...I checked my plugins this morning, and it said both my Java platform and my Java Deployment Toolkit needed updating. However, I click Update, and the link does not lead me to a download page. Plus, when I try to verify my Java version on the Java page, it says that I have the recommended Java installed (and so do other sites that run on Java). How do I update these things so that everything is up to date? Screenshots for further info: http://oi50.tinypic.com/15d87ly.jpg (the plugin checker status) http://oi47.tinypic.com/35jk0ub.jpg (What the "Update" link leads to) http://oi46.tinypic.com/34yz7kk.jpg (The verification)

27 REPLIES
New Contributor

Re: STILL NOT SOLVED. So...What Is Going On With Java And How Do I Update It?

Bumping this thread, as I have information to add, plus I would like to have this actually answered. I have tried re-downloading Java, restarting my computer, and restarting the browser, and none have worked. Plugin Checker still says I need an update...

New Contributor

Firefox is still looking for Version 9 to be installed... if you only have Version 10, it will disable it and say you need to install Java and go get Version 9.

FF will also show you're out of date unless you have Version 10.

I don't know if the fault is with FF for not checking for the right thing.... or Oracle for not showing 10 on the right page.... in some way, it's seriously hosed.

What I stumbled into is: If you have both 9 AND 10 installed, FF is happy.

Site Moderator

See Java Platform > Java SE 7U10 or Java 6U38 (Download JRE)

Site Moderator

There may be problems with Java 7 Update 10 since a number of Windows users have reported that Firefox is not detecting the plugin and they have had to reinstall Java 7 Update 9. I would hold off on updating to the latest Java 7 u10 for a while. Related threads:

Java 6 Update 38, on the other hand, is working fine with Firefox on my Windows 7 system.

New Contributor

So....what should I do here, download it, or not? Because I would like everything to be up to date and working properly...

New Contributor

Plus, the link given shows a TON of versions. I run off of Windows Vista, so which download link do I pick?

New Contributor

Also, Alice, I read that link to Mozilla Support you posted, and it's still incredibly confusing for me. Yes, I am a bit 'slow', so I'm not really getting a clear answer as to what I should do. I kinda need a step-by-step on what I should be doing, if I should be doing anything right now.

New Contributor

(Last post before I wait for others to answer) I guess in short, what I'm saying is that everything sounds like a load of techno-babble, meanwhile I just want to know if I should do anything right now, and if so, STEP-BY-STEP instructions on how to do it.

Like I said, I'm not all that quick on the draw, nor am I good with computers and their terminology.

New Contributor

@Ponyparty, I'm right there with you (utterly lost). When I checked for plug-in updates yesterday, I had no idea that it would turn into such an ordeal. But everyone on the forum has been incredibly helpful. I'm sure we'll get this figured out eventually. Smiley Happy