cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing selected text crops off part of first line - bug report 696566 - any help coming or workarounds?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Printing selected text crops off part of first line - bug report 696566 - any help coming or workarounds?

Previous reports of this problem in this forum have had their threads closed. This is still a bug in FF 17.0.1, and has a bug report of 696566. One suggested solution of setting print scaling to 90% does not have any effect.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Printing selected text crops off part of first line - bug report 696566 - any help coming or workarounds?

The print bug has now been fixed.

edit Some print bugs have been fixed including some pdf issues and bug 684622

Hope your problems will be solved in Firefox 21. That will at present mean using nightly http://nightly.mozilla.org/

20 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: Printing selected text crops off part of first line - bug report 696566 - any help coming or workarounds?

Sorry you are getting left without any progress reports. This question is a good example of some areas where I think we need to try to enhance Support Forum performance.

I will see what I can find out. Unfortunately it may just be that this is considered low priority and resources are not available to fix it. I do not think Firefox has ever excelled on printing ability and compatibility.

Regrettably I have little chance of finding the related posts you mention.

• The automated closing of threads is a newer improvement coupled with the facts that
    • it also involved stopping Google indexing of old threads,
    • and the fact that even the advanced search will not search for string but OR s all the words together, so maxes out at 1000 results without meaningful hits. (The next improvement is consideration of shelving advanced forum search entirely  ! because it is an under utilised feature.)
  • Have you got links to any of them ?

I will start a thread in the contributors forum, at least those threads do not get closed down.

The bug does not seem to have any action on it and is unassigned, but it had a recent comment. (By "Don" - was that you? ) I will see if I can politely prompt someone into giving a status report.

Vaguely related, another printing regression that has stalled and David's involvement including bug684622#c39-40 /questions/936842

I guess primitive clunky workarounds will include

• taking screenshots and printing them or cutting and pasting text into another application,
  • or maybe using print to file, and editing the file prior to printing.
  • or save the web page, to re-open and print using something else.
  • Probably easiest is simply to use an alternative browser
New Contributor

Thanks for the update. I found the other threads by googling "firefox print selection first line".

The "Don" in the last post on the bug report page was me.

Site Moderator

The print bug has now been fixed.

edit Some print bugs have been fixed including some pdf issues and bug 684622

Hope your problems will be solved in Firefox 21. That will at present mean using nightly http://nightly.mozilla.org/

Regular Contributor

John, I looked for info on "print selection" problems being fixed in v21 (any) - can't find evidence. In fact, remarks in the bug on print > selection cutting off 1st line, mentions this post & a fix hasn't been issued.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=696566#c12

Someone (John99) claims that this bug has been fixed in some nightlys and the fix will be released with Firefox 21
I think he must be confused. There's no indication that this bug is fixed, and I can still reproduce this in Nightly ... So, not fixed yet.

Do you have info that this bug has indeed been fixed?

For some reason, I didn't see the issue of print selection cutting off first line, until about version 18 or 19. Others reported it much earlier. Thanks.

Site Moderator

Sorry.

I do not think handling printing is one of Firefox's strong points. There are sometimes multiple printing issues under investigation and in various stages of a fix.

I had intended to say that Bug 684622 had been fixed.

I would say work on bug 696566 is stalled with the last comment from the assignee in 2011

I still haven't figured out what is going wrong with the clipping, none of the variables involved were touched by my patch. 
I'm not surprised this is to do with print selection, perhaps the most broken and badly written feature in the codebase aside from mork.

Perhaps someone should politely ask if anyone is actively assigned to and working on that bug.

Regular Contributor

It's strange I never saw the cutting off 1st line issue until most recent versions. I do a lot of selection printing - in Vista x64. Never had a problem. Upgraded Fx & suddenly I have same issue others complained about for well > a yr.

Wondering if there isn't some about:config setting that was changed in recent upgrade? How else could I not have the issue for so long, that many reported (in same versions they reported the issue), but suddenly I do?

There are several about:config printer entries - not sure of possible values & action, like: printer_HP_Officejet_Pro_8600_(Network).print_edge_top; Value = 0

printer_HP_Officejet_Pro_8600_(Network).print_unwriteable_margin_top; Value = 0

The printer model isn't a factor - others now also cut off 1st line in print>selection.

Legendary Contributor

I don't think it was an intentional preference change, and different pages still behave differently. In some cases, instead of printing just the selection at the top of the page, Firefox preserved the position on the first page or on any page, printing blank pages up to the page with your selection. (This is an improvement from printing blank pages even after your selection. ?!)

While I don't think print layout is that much harder than screen layout, there seems to be less energy for sorting it out. (And by energy I mean developers willing to devote time to the issue.)

Over the years, I've generally fallen back on a bookmarklet approach. After making a selection, I click the bookmarklet to remove the rest of the page. This and other workarounds are described more thoroughly in this thread: Firefox 17 on Windows 7 prints blank pages after printing selection.

Site Moderator

The bug was reported on a Mac and semi automated regression testing done on Linux. You could run the regression testing your self on your machine to see what results you get.

Or you could test a single manual reinstall of one you thought worked (It is probably no more work to run the semi automated test than the additional install )

Regular Contributor

Thanks for replies. jscher2000 - thanks for link to your script. I'd seen references to a bookmarklet (guess it was yours or one similar) - but didn't actually see the script.

How does the script "stripping" everything except what's selected / high lighted on a page, prevent the 1st line of selected text from being cut off?

Recently, I've tried selections on many pages. I doubt ALL had frames, tables, etc., that caused 1st line cut off. Could be wrong. Also looked at your other links - don't seem to relate to 1st line being cut off.

John - what exactly do you mean

You could run the regression testing your self on your machine to see what results you get.

I understand the words, but no idea where / what you mean. Where is this & is there documentation how to test it?

Yes, I could install older Fx versions. If they stopped the problem, what good would that do? Unless it is an about config setting or something user accessible, won't help w/ current version. What are you proposing there?