cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plugin-container.exe makes browsing slow: how 2 solve?

Highlighted
Grand Master Contributor

Plugin-container.exe makes browsing slow: how 2 solve?

I have reverted to 3.5 because the latest versions of FF include some nonsense called plugin-container. FF was brilliant prior to the plugin-container but now it is noticeably slower.

Are there any early versions of 3.6 without the plugin-container available for download.

Can someone fix the plugin-container nonsense. FF was perfect prior to the plugin-container

URL of affected sites

http://

119 REPLIES
Grand Master Contributor

Re: Plugin-container.exe makes browsing slow: how 2 solve?

I noticed this, too... the problem seems to occur for me when I have tabs open that use flash for video, most notably YouTube. I have to kill fx and re-open to get it to drop. Very annoying. I don't know why there was a need to include something like this, but it doesn't seem well tested.

The command line that launches this process (as a child process of fx), for reference: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe" --channel=4452.1336c6a0.231575676 "C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll" 4452 plugin \\.\pipe\gecko-crash-server-pipe.4452

Yes, in that screenshot, plugin-container.exe has used more than 18 hours of cpu time (compared with 18 seconds used by my antivirus). Yes, plugin-container.exe is using as much again and more memory than firefox itself. Granted, I have a lot of tabs open, and firefox has been open for days, but those numbers seem ridiculous to me.

Grand Master Contributor

same problem. rather annoying. currently i just keep shutting it down from task manager til it goes away. else i can't do anything as it's using too much cpu. i have read methods on how to fix it, but either it wont work or i am unable to find out how to make the changes supposedly needed.

Grand Master Contributor

Firefox has been extremely slow when showing flash videos since I've updated. Even low quality videos are causing Firefox to stutter now.

Grand Master Contributor

About every third video I view begins to stutter and then finally hangs. This causes FF to become unresponsive and I have to kill it. I am using ver 3.6.6.

Once in a while, I am told that FlashPlayer has stopped and I get the opportunity to send THEM the error, but the rest of the time it appears to just be FF that quits.

This has GOT to be fixed.

Grand Master Contributor

I'm having all these problems too. After about 5 years of using Firefox, I went back to Internet Explorer 7.

Site Moderator

Background A new Firefox crash prevention feature was introduced in Firefox 3.6.4 to load Adobe Flash (as well as Microsoft Silverlight and Apple QuickTime, on Windows) in a separate process named "plugin-container". When one of these "out-of-process" plugins crashes or stops responding for a specified time period (10 seconds in Firefox 3.6.4 or 45 seconds in Firefox 3.6.6) , only the plugin is terminated and you will get a plugin crash notice with the option of sending a crash report to Mozilla. The purpose of this new feature is to prevent the entire Firefox browser from crashing when a plugin hangs or crashes. Ref: What is plugin-container Adobe Flash plugin has crashed - Prevent it from happening again Send plugin crash reports to help Mozilla improve Firefox

If you are having problems wit plugin.container and reading the above articles isn't helpful:

You can stop plugins from loading in a separate "plugin-container" process by setting all dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.* preferences to false in about:config as explained here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plugin-container_and_out-of-process_plugins#Disabling_crash_protection

Or, as a last resort, download a Firefox version prior to 3.6.4 and then uninstall Firefox and install the previous version. I would suggest 3.5.10 since it is more secure than Firefox 3.6.3. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an_old_version_of_Firefox for more information on downgrading Firefox.

Grand Master Contributor

That's just it - I don't get a plugin crash notice. FF just quite responding and "goes grey" (Vista & Win7).

Also, when FF crashes, and I kill it and restart, FF gives no indication that there ever was a previous session like it used to do.

Site Moderator

Make sure that you allow the plugin-container process full access to internet in your firewall.

Did you try to disable the OOPP by setting all dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.* prefs to false?

To open the about:config page, type about:config in the location (address) bar and press the Enter key, just like you type the url of a website to open a website. If you see a warning then you can confirm that you want to access that page.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/about:config

Grand Master Contributor

"Did you try to disable the OOPP by setting all dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.* prefs to false? "

Once more, please: OOPP?

I know about the config file and how to access it, but the OOPP is unknown to me.