cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pages are loading really slow about 20 seconds after I updated to 15.0.1

Highlighted
New Contributor

Pages are loading really slow about 20 seconds after I updated to 15.0.1

I updated my Firefox to 15.0.1 which I did not want to do, but it kept harassing me to do it and now the pages take forever to load. Anytime I go to my Earthlink email, it just loads and loads until it hit the stop "x" and then sometimes it will load. I did not change anything on my computer. All I did was update the browser. When I load the exact same pages in Safari, they load right away. I have tried looking online and found that many users have the same issue. I tried many of their suggestions and nothing worked. I use an iMac 10.6.8.

22 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: Pages are loading really slow about 20 seconds after I updated to 15.0.1

The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.

To Reset Firefox do the following:

1. Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
  2. Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
  3. Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
  4. Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.

Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.

Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!

Shooting Star Contributor

Hi keviam,

We are investigating to see if there is actually a performance degradation between FF 14 and 15. Did the Firefox Reset work? If not, would you be willing to help us by performing some additional troubleshooting steps?

Let me know!

New Contributor

Hi, i have the same problem, FF does not load many webpages, only if i click on the X and i refresh it. Sometimes i have to repeat the procedure many times to access... I saw at the bottom that the pages are waiting for charging things what i never installed on my own web sites (something like ss.statick.com or other). I was looking for someof them on internet and found out that those are trackers which swamp the page and slow down the load.

It became hard to navigate on the web, what can i do against them ?

New Contributor

I'm having the exact same problem - but with Firefox 17. It was working fine and then this suddenly started about two weeks ago. It's driving me CRAZY!

Web pages take forever to load. And frequently they don't load at all. Some pages load half way then spend an eternity trying to load the rest of the page.

While at the same time I can load all these same pages - at the same time in Chrome, Opera and IE. In fact in those browsers I can skip around to 10 or more different pages while Firefox is still trying to laod the first one.

Earlier today I reinstalled Firefox. (I didn't uninstall it beforehand though). Just now I tried the Reset option suggested here. No change. In fact, I've been waiting for nytimes.com to load the whole time it's taken me to write these last this paragraph - and it still hasn't loaded the first page element.

New Contributor

Follow Up: I just did a complete uninstall. Then reinstalled it - and still no change. Still not bringing up most websites.

New Contributor

I have a similar problem. PC#1 is WIn Vista 64 bit OS, WiFi to my router, running FF 17.0.1 - NO PROBLEMS.

PC#2 is Win 7 64 bit OS, direct ethernet to same router; running same version of FF 17.0.1

On PC#2, all pages load VERY slowly (after last FF & MS updates). Tried resetting FF, no joy. Tried deleting cache & cookies, no join again. BUT I do notice that MS IE also loads pages very slowly now. So, it does not appear to be browser specific.

What do both FF and MS IE browsers on PC#2 have in COMMON that may cause this problem? I've performed a FULL SCAN using MS Security Essentials (no evidence of infection).

Any feedback or suggestions are VERY welcome. Thanks!

--- UPDATE: I reboot and solve this problem - for a while. Later, the same problem returns. Very puzzling.

New Contributor

jcncnc:

Try rebooting your pc and let us know what you discover. In my case, this solved the problem (at least for some time). There seems to be bugs in FF, maybe memory leak, I dont know.

New Contributor

Thanks jh63 - but no change after reboot.

It's amazing to me that Firefox doesn't seem to know about this or address it. If you do a simple search on "firefox is very slow" thousands of pages come up. Many of them here in the mozilla forums. Every different conversation gets the same answers - reset firefox/scan for malware/create new ff profile/etc., etc.

But hundreds of people (at least), here have reported none of those things work.

I just don't understand how a fatal browser problem like this could go on undetected by the people who make the software for so long!

Oh and I even tried completely deleting ff 17 and installing firefox 18. 18 is slightly better, but still lags far behind other browsers by 20-30 to even 60 seconds per page. Firefox 17 wouldn't load most pages no matter how long I waited. At least 18 will load them - eventually!

Unfortunately, there are many other browsers on the market and this is forcing me to use them.

New Contributor

There was a problem plug in on one of my machines. I removed that plugin, reset the browser and deleted cache/cookies/etc...now the browser works fine.

Let's see how long it lasts Smiley Wink