Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pages and icons (in the tabs and navigation bars) are too big due to 22 upgrade

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Pages and icons (in the tabs and navigation bars) are too big due to 22 upgrade

Due to FF22 upgrade (from 21), all my icons (from webpages, addons and regular buttons) and tabs have got bigger and that's really ugly because of the low resolution of the images. Also considering I have a rather big number of tabs I can just see a smaller number of them and it's annoying. The zoom of the page is now bigger (given that I has already zoom in in version 21, now the pages are too big and I have to zoom out a page that was correctly zoomed in 21) Surprisingly the menu bar is intact !

Is that a new graphic convention ? Is there an update of something like GTK+ in this new version that could be responsible of this bug ? And mainly is there anyway to fix it ?

My screen resolution is 1920*1080. And for example with chromium or FF21 the menu have the perfect size.

PS: Sorry for my poor English.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Pages and icons (in the tabs and navigation bars) are too big due to 22 upgrade

hello, firefox 22 is now respecting the pixel density you've set on a system level in the windows control panel > appearance > display. more information about that is availbale at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/make-the-text-on-your-screen-larger-or-smaller

if you want to set the text size/pixel density in firefox different from that of your system's settings like it was handled in prior versions, enter about:config into the firefox address bar (confirm the info message in case it shows up) & search for the preference named layout.css.devPixelsPerPx. double-click it and change its value to 1.0 (or any other zoom factor that fits your purpose; -1.0 is the default value and will adhere to the system settings).

63 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: Pages and icons (in the tabs and navigation bars) are too big due to 22 upgrade

hello, firefox 22 is now respecting the pixel density you've set on a system level in the windows control panel > appearance > display. more information about that is availbale at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/make-the-text-on-your-screen-larger-or-smaller

if you want to set the text size/pixel density in firefox different from that of your system's settings like it was handled in prior versions, enter about:config into the firefox address bar (confirm the info message in case it shows up) & search for the preference named layout.css.devPixelsPerPx. double-click it and change its value to 1.0 (or any other zoom factor that fits your purpose; -1.0 is the default value and will adhere to the system settings).

New User

"hello, firefox 22 is now respecting the pixel density you've set on a system level in the windows control panel > appearance > display. more information about that is availbale at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/make-the-text-on-your-screen-larger-or-smaller

if you want to set the text size/pixel density in firefox different from that of your system's settings like it was handled in prior versions, enter about:config into the firefox address bar (confirm the info message in case it shows up) & search for the preference named layout.css.devPixelsPerPx. double-click it and change its value to 1.0 (or any other zoom factor that fits your purpose; -1.0 is the default value and will adhere to the system settings). " Thanks to "philipp" for the answer Smiley Happy

New User

I would like to go back to the way it was in version 21, what font style should i set layout.css.devPixelsPerPx to? I seriously cannot stand big webpages, help would be appreciated.

SUMO Contributor

Hi Turnerten, what is your Windows DPI setting?

For example, if you have Windows set to 125% (or 120 DPI) then your chrome area (menus, toolbars, tabs) should look normal and content (web pages) should be zoomed up by 25%.

Is that what you have?

To zoom web pages back down, try one of these extensions to set a global content zoom value of 80%:

After setting your Global zoom level, you can still fine-tune the zoom on individual sites using Firefox's standard zoom feature (keyboard shortcut or mouse wheel).

Does that work for you?

(If your Windows zoom is higher, e.g., 150%, the corresponding global zoom level would be 67%.)

New User

I still think that the icons of the add-ons are too big relatively to the others for example of the menu bar. Any idea ?

SUMO Contributor

Hi flofl0, I think the scaling should apply to the whole area evenly, but I haven't made a careful comparison.

Could the difference be that the add-on author didn't include a high resolution icon so the scaling makes those icons blurrier at the same size?

Can you post a screen shot pointing out which add-on icons are weirdly scaled compared with built-in icons? This article has tips on that: How do I create a screenshot of my problem?

New User

I almost broke all my config (1095 as a parameter was clearly a bad idea but not for my finger which pressed enter anyway >_<) happily FF is breakable as it is fixable Smiley Happy Is there any parameter to let FF do things like before ? Frankly I think it would be amazing Smiley Happy why a thing that was perfect was broken ?

"1" seems to be the "like" before options for the addons icons but fonts of menu and tabs names are little with it. Any font change ? It's really like the ratio between this two sizes (addons icon and fonts of the bars) is not the same in FF21 and FF22.

New User

I have this same problem, and fixing the CSS pixels-per-pixel ratio made web pages the same size, but made everything in Firefox's UI all tiny and squinty. Now the text in menus and things is hardly legible. But the alternative is to totally lose the functionaly of the reset-zoom-to-neutral command, which I use a lot because my girlfriend keeps blowing things up to giant size, and even if I use it, I never know what the actual size of anything is, and there probably isn't any zoom setting that accurately reproduces a true 1:1 ratio of pixels, which I want to have when viewing people's photography so it isn't degraded by aliasing issues.

I very much would like to roll back this update, even though the previous version is failing utterly to handle background-attachment: fixed. The whole reason I downloaded this update was to see if it corrected that bug, and now I have two bugs.

(I don't know why I had to register a new account here... maybe my old one expired from disuse.)

SUMO Contributor

Hi paulkienitz, as a workaround you can enlarge the chrome area (menu, toolbars, tabs) using this extension: Theme Font & Size Changer. Other posters have reported that a value like 17 gets close to the native size. Any luck?