cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option to change update channel not appearing in Help>About. Why?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Option to change update channel not appearing in Help>About. Why?

I would like to switch to the release channel from the beta channel, but the option to switch does not appear in the Help>About window. Is there another way to change channels?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Option to change update channel not appearing in Help>About. Why?

That feature has been removed.

16 REPLIES
Site Moderator

That feature has been removed.

New Contributor

Thanks, cor-el. But does this mean I'm stuck on the beta channel? Is there no way to get back to the release channel?

Site Moderator

You can install the Firefox 5 release version if you want to go back to the release channel or you can edit the file channel-prefs.js in the defaults\pref folder or change the pref app.update.channel to release and try to update. Don't know if the latter will work.

New Contributor

my update channel is

pref("app.update.channel", "release"); 

in defaults\pref\channel-prefs.js but when I want to update It find Firefox 6 beta. how can I change this?

Site Moderator

app.update.channel is old and no longer used. A easy way to get back to release channel is to install Firefox 5.0 as cor-el mentioned.

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/5.0/

There are no new Firefox release updates at moment if you are using Windows or Linux anyways as the 5.0.1 and 3.6.19 was just to have a couple workarounds for Mac OSX 10.5 and 10.7 users.

New Contributor

Uninstalling and reinstalling a program is the "easy" solution? What a joke. Why was this feature removed with no corresponding UI update to explain how to switch channels?

When is the Mozilla knowledge base article going to be updated? https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/how-do-i-switch-update-channels

Way to drop the ball here Mozilla.

Support Forum Moderator

It says This article is no longer maintained, so its content might be out of date.

New Contributor

This burned me, as I was on the aurora channel. There had to be a better way of handling this - at least I'm not alone in wishing there was a clear, user-facing message to give users alternate approaches or a one-time option to switch back to a release channel. The ease of switching to dev channels made it a lot easier for a non-technically minded user to take the plunge, thinking their altruism would help the developer community.

Stranding those users and telling them they have to reinstall their browsers doesn't reward the desired behavior, right?

Support Forum Moderator

Sorry to be so blunt, but "non-technically minded user"s have no business using pre-release builds, if they aren't up to dealing with changes like that. "Altruism" is a road block to development, IMO - if you ain't helping, you're holding up progress.

In the time it took you to register here and post, you could have downloaded and installed a release version.