We have been using Outlook Web Access 2010 within our organization for a few months now, and have been using firefox to do so. With the latest Firefox 8 update, it seems that certain attachments download as "attachment.ashx". Yes, I said ASHX not ASPX. My research tells me that ashx files have to do with the .NET Framework. It seems that this is only occurring since we downloaded Firefox 8.
Yes, changing the file extension allows us to open the files, and we can set a program to handle the file extension, but that would only apply when the ashx extension is only affecting one file type, but it seems to happen for more than 1 document type. I have experienced this issue with .pdf, .doc, .xls, .docx and .xlsx.
Any ideas as to what would be causing this as of the latest update?
Solved! Go to Solution.
So I have the long awaited answer to this problem, but can not post it here because it's somewhat technical and in order to represent the problem it is necessary to use some characters that do not encode properly into this post, so I am providing a link to my solution:
This works for me:
Go to about:config in your URL bar. click the 'I'll be careful , i promise!' button and find the property browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl and change the value to false.
it still renames the files, but you will be able to open them.
I verify that the problem is caused by the update. I became aware of this problem when my first computer started acting like this and I came to this site for help.
I wanted to verify the cause and I opened another computer with FF 7.0.1. Tried to download pdf from OWA2010. It downloaded ok, with the right file extension name.pdf. After this, I updated the computer to the FF 8.0 and downloaded the same file again. Now the name has changed to attachment.ashx. No other other changes have taken place.
Any final fixes or better workarounds?
Using MacBook Pro running 10.5.8. Downloaded Firefox 8 on 11/9/11 and now Microsoft Outlook Web App 2010 downloads all email attachments as "attachment.ashx" instead of jpg, pdf, etc. Can open files if I change them to the proper extension, but no longer automatically open. Instead get a "can't open this file" message. Attempted to fix in Firefox > Preferences > Applications by indicating the proper "Actions" for various "Content Types" but this had no effect. This is not a problem on Chrome or Safari browsers which continue to download email attachments properly.
I just thought I would post a follow up to my original post in hopes that it might help point someone in the right direction.
I tried the solution posted above, but with no success. It did not make any difference to set browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl to false in the about:config.
I tried opening the attachments in various computers in my company's network, and there is something that I can not explain. When trying to open an attachment on one of my co-workers computers, the attachment will save as attachment.ashx and I have to rename the file extension so that the system will recognize it correctly. On my computer, with the same setup as the other (Win XP/Firefox8) attachments will download as attachment.ashx.EXT where EXT is the correct extension of the file. So if the file sent was file.xls, the attachment would download as attachment.ashx.xls. This effectively allows me to open the attachments without having to change the file extension (also, the above fix has not been applied on this computer).
I have many plugins/extensions installed in my firefox 8 that my co-worker does not, and think that this might be the reason that it works on my computer and not my co-workers. I think it may be one of the Microsoft related plugins, like the Microsoft Office 2003 plugin that is enabling my computer to at least detect the format and save it with the correct extension. Can anyone confirm this? (screenshot of installed plugins/extensions included)
Also, a sort of work-a-round that I've spread around the office temporarily is to right click the file, choose "Save As" and change the file name and extension of the file before you save it. This saves you from having to download attachment.ashx and then browsing to the file to change the extension before you can open it.
With file MIME type are those files send by the server?
You may have to check the registry for that .ashx file extension in HKEY_CLASSES _ROOT or search the MIME database key for that MIME type or file extension.
MIME Database : "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type"
I updated into firefox 8 this morning and get same problem. All my attachment is .ashx. I can't do a lot of office works, as I need download and send many pdf files. Hope they can fix it soon.
So, I used Live HTTP Headers to check the mime type, and it is correct. It is also being sent with the correct file name... Please see the screenshot.
Also, I looked in the registry for .ashx file extension, and it does not exist in that location.
I also just realized that attachment.ashx is the file that is responsible for delivering the attachements to the user, thus why everything is being saved as attachment.ashx.
See Bug 699901 - All OWA attachments are saved as "attachment.ashx", some Chrome users met the same issues in 2010 (Microsoft released a patch).