cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OSS support removed.

Highlighted
New Contributor

OSS support removed.

I updated to Firefox 22 on FreeBSD this morning, only to find that OSS support has been removed. This leaves non-Linux users with very little option in the way of sound. ALSA is a Linux thing and Pulseaudio is a complete mess. We have our own native sound subsystem (a fork of OSS) that has worked perfectly up until now. I can't consider Firefox to be a native application anymore if I have to install lots of Linux sound stuff that I -really- don't want on my system. If I wanted Linux, I'd run Linux. I don't - I run FreeBSD. Is there any way to get this support re-added? Even though the userbase is small, I'd still like to use Firefox on my OS of choice, instead of having to switch because of this decision to remove OSS support.

1 REPLY
Site Moderator

Re: OSS support removed.

Just posting because this might turn up in people's searches. Talked on IRC with you.

Firefox has never had OSS support. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=503691

This is some customization that FreeBSD must have done. The maintainer for the package should be the person to correct the problem.