cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No spellcheck in Firefox 24

Highlighted
New User

No spellcheck in Firefox 24

After FF24 update some input fields just don't want to check me spelling. I have all dictionaries installed, but on some text arias i just don't have a spellcheck option. Only thing i have is "install dictionaries...". In some other *more simple* text fields everything works just fine. Most problematic are all kinds of visual html editors. In the most cases i have problem as i mentioned above, but if i open raw html window for exmple, the splellcheck function of FF24 works as it should. That what i mean by "more simple text fields" i.e. less visual formatting.

Any suggestions, please?

P.S. Tried on different PCs, with different browsers including Nightly. The result is the same on anything above 23.

24 REPLIES
SUMO Contributor

Re: No spellcheck in Firefox 24

Certain websites can disable the spellcheck feature in certain textareas on their webpage.

Have you ever been able to use spellcheck on the page your are having issues with?

Site Moderator

Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).

• Do NOT click the Reset button on the Safe Mode start window.
New User

Yes, the spellcheck was present until v24 update.

New User

Safe mode doesn't help too. As i said i've tried this on different PC's, so its firefox problem.

Site Moderator

Does it have effect if you copy the two dictionary files (xx-XX.dic and xx-XX.aff) of each dictionary to the dictionaries folder in the Firefox program folder?

This dictionaries folder may not exist if you have a Firefox locale that doesn't come with a dictionary.

You can use this button to go to the Firefox profile folder:

New User

Yeah. Now my language options in the spellcheck menu are doubled. But they are still not where i want them to be i.e. problem is still present.

New User

Little Update. I Found a fine example of my problem: http://www.tinymce.com/tryit/3_x/url_conversion.php It's the same type of visual editor i usually use. And the spellcheck was working there before v24. Try to type and check spelling within any of these fields on the page i mentioned above.

SUMO Contributor

Please try the following:

1. Go to about:config
  2. Locate the layout.spellcheckDefault string
  3. If not already, change the value of this string to 1

Please report back soon.

Site Moderator

That is a contenteditable text area with spellcheck disabled.

contenteditable="true" onload="window.parent.tinyMCE.get('absurls').onLoad.dispatch();" spellcheck="false"
  • Bug 905176 - For input/textarea/contenteditable with spellcheck="false", "Check Spelling" context menu should be disabled/hidden
  • Bug 908570 - no longer able to check spelling on etherpad - only "add dictionary" is present

Please do not comment in bug reports: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html