Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No longer able to fully customize?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

No longer able to fully customize?

I updated my Firefox version either yesterday or the day before. I'm currently running Aurora 29.0a2. Ever since I updated, I've found several issues:

I am no longer able to customize my browser according to the steps found here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/customize-firefox-controls-buttons-and-toolbars?redirectlocale=...

When I go in to customize, all I can do is move around the buttons. I used to be able to add in spacing, but there's no longer an option for that. I can't move my tabs bar underneath the url bar, which is how I used to have it (shame on me for clicking "Restore defaults"). Is there another place where there are proper customization options?

Also, my status bar seems to have disappeared. On the status bar I had the loading text and hover-url text, as well as fox clocks. The entire bar is gone. I can manage with Status4ever, but if I try to have the status text show up in the actual status bar, it doesn't. There is no bottom bar at all. Is there some option I need to select somewhere or something?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator
26 REPLIES
Legendary Contributor

Re: No longer able to fully customize?

I think you might be seeing the Australis interface redesign.

I think you are right that there no longer is any built-in way to move the tabs down from the top of the toolbar area. I believe you may find one or more extensions which offer this feature; they might not be any more stable than Nightly itself at this point.

Firefox has not had a Status Bar for a long time, but the Add-on bar might also have been removed (I have not kept up with that aspect of the design). What do you find on the Toolbars list?

tap the Alt key > View menu > Toolbars

What do you mean by adding spacing?

Site Moderator
New Contributor

It does seem to be the Australis build. All that's left is the menu bar and bookmarks bar.

Spacing was a part of customization where you could put spaces within the url bar (for example) to put space between the google search box and url box, or to keep the boxes from going all the way to the right or something. I had my bars end at a certain point so that you could see my firefox background in the right corner.

Thanks for the links! Between Classic Theme Restorer and Status4Ever I've somehow managed to get back the customization I desired. Thanks so much. (:

New Contributor

I also have the problem with the "Tabs On Top" option. I DO NOT want them on top. I had version 27 running on Windows XP and was able to set this option. On Windows 7 that option no longer appears in the View>Toolbars list.

How can the tabs be moved to the desired position?

I have searched the drive on both XP and Windows 7 for the "tabsontop" text in any file. No results were found.
Support Forum Moderator

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

Did you look at the options for Classic Theme Restorer?

Main tab in Options > Tabs Not on Top

New Contributor

Yes. That is how I knew to look for "tabsontop" text in a file. Further, it states that add-on is not available for version 27.

The puzzle is why is the option there when version 27 runs on XP but not on Windows 7. Someone at Mozilla does not like Windows 7 and singled out that OS to work differently????

Support Forum Moderator

Aurora Firefox 29 and Nightly Firefox 30 have the new Australis "theme", Firefox 27 and Beta 28 don't have it.

The menu item for Tabs on Top was removed many versions ago; on WinXP installations if you would happen to un-check Tabs on Top and then restart Firefox that menu item would disappear from the menu.

Open about:config and double-click this preference to toggle it to false.
browser.tabs.onTop
http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config

New Contributor

Thanks. Problem solved!

New Contributor

WHO's Brilliant ideas was this "Australis build" anyway? Under it, dont use the word customization as that is a mus-nomer and a JOKE, we cant customize, we just move icons around, that is, the ones you have left us with after you deleted all the good ones.. You take away the TABS on Bottom, (there is an ADDon but if you TOUCH the addon screen, it reverts back to on top immediately, You put he URL field on the MENU bar and we can not MOVE it, or reshape or shorten it, We have no SPACES to separate icons, THE RELOAD/REFRESH appears to be GONE or lost forever. If a site hangs, I have NO idea on how you expect us to reload the page. All those HANDY little tools in the old customize window are GONE we used to be able to move to any Toolbar except the Yahoo toolbar. WHAT happened? What genius came up with the AUSTRALIS crap? Has Firefox gone the way of YAHOO and the user/customer DO NOT COUNT or MATTER any more or what we want? Why is it necessary for us to scrounge around and find OLD RELEASES that worked for us and WE LIKED. Upgrades USUALLY mean improvements. IS there ANYONE that likes rel 29? IF SO, PLEASE explain why because I can not see anything but doing away with great tools, etc.