cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My computer is clean, bug-free, with the most current updates on AdBlock & Firefox, yet I still get rollover ads and "fake" links embedded into websites:( Help!

Highlighted
New Contributor

My computer is clean, bug-free, with the most current updates on AdBlock & Firefox, yet I still get rollover ads and "fake" links embedded into websites:( Help!

I have Firefox 18.0, AdBlock 2.2.1, am up-to-date on my Windows 7, have no bugs nor viruses, but still there are "fake" hyperlinks embedded in websites. Also, rollover ads are making a presence again. Any suggestions? Tweaking the Java settings doesn't help. I haven't done Flashblock it blocks a lot of my work crud, but would be willing to deal with that annoyance if someone feels that it would be the resolution to my problem.

5 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: My computer is clean, bug-free, with the most current updates on AdBlock & Firefox, yet I still get rollover ads and "fake" links embedded into websites:( Help!

hello this sounds like a problem possibly caused by adware on your pc. please go to firefox > addons > extensions & remove any suspicious entries (toolbars, things that you have not installed intentionally, don't know what purpose they serve, etc). also go to the windows control panel / programs and remove all toolbars or potentially unwanted software from there and do a full scan of your system with the security software that you have in place and/or a different tool like the free version of malwarebytes.

Remove a toolbar that has taken over your Firefox search or home page Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware

Site Moderator

Re: My computer is clean, bug-free, with the most current updates on AdBlock & Firefox, yet I still get rollover ads and "fake" links embedded into websites:( Help!

There are a lot of IntelliTXT like ad pop-ups possible.

If your current Adblock Plus filter settings aren't blocking some pop-ups then it is best to take this to the Adblock Plus forum.

New Contributor

Thank you. Malwarebytes is one of computer allies already. I'm a big fan of it. I had already checked the add-ons to see if anything snuck in (to no avail) but I'm sorry that I neglected to put that in my initial post. Thank you so much for trying though!

New Contributor

Thanks for your advice on going to the forum. I'll do just that. Smiley Happy

New Contributor

Hey, I just wanted to let y'all know (or anyone that is using this for a reference) I went to an olden-goldie: Spybot: Search & Destroy. The immunizations that it provides worked like a charm. I did notice that with their new version (Spybot2) you have to make sure that it doesn't boot with start up. Otherwise, my problems are solved! Whoot!