cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My browser won't load anything related to google; I've already done a virus scan, adjusted my firewalls, and restarted my modem and router, cleared DNS cache and nothing has worked.

Highlighted
New User

My browser won't load anything related to google; I've already done a virus scan, adjusted my firewalls, and restarted my modem and router, cleared DNS cache and nothing has worked.

I am unable to access gmail or search on google. I've already done a virus scan, adjusted my firewalls, and restarted my modem and router, cleared DNS cache and nothing has worked. This has been occurring for about a week.

15 REPLIES
All Star

Re: My browser won't load anything related to google; I've already done a virus scan, adjusted my firewalls, and restarted my modem and router, cleared DNS cache and nothing has worked.

Try Safe mode "Alt+H" (Help) > "Restart with add-ons disabled..." then click on "'Continue in Safe Mode" do not check any of the items which would permanently change/delete your settings/history (in other words unsafe).

If it works then the problem is within Firefox extensions, settings, or theme. Adblock Plus, grease monkey, block site extensions could block google.com

If it doesn't work the possibly you hosts file is preventing access to google.com

Legend

Re: My browser won't load anything related to google; I've already done a virus scan, adjusted my firewalls, and restarted my modem and router, cleared DNS cache and nothing has worked.

Troubleshooting extensions and themes

If that doesn't work, Close All Web Browsers (Firefox, IE , Opera, Safari, etc.)

-> Open My Computer -> go to Windows drive (C:\) -> Windows -> System32 -> drivers -> etc -> open hosts file in Notepad -> below the line 127.0.0.1 localhost , DELETE ALL LINES related to google.com -> Save the file and close it -> Now open Web Browsers

Check and tell if its working.

Site Moderator

Do a malware check with some malware scanning programs.
You need to scan with all programs because each program detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.

See also:

If using the above listed scanners does not fix it or if you are blocked from installing those scanners then you may need to ask advice on one of the forums that specialize in malware removal mentioned in the Popups_not_blocked article.

New User

Thanks for your replies, unfortunately restarting in safe mode and clearing the host file didn't solve the problem.

Legend

Are Google websites opening in your other browsers ?? check and tell ..

New User

I can access google maps & google news. But I can't access google web or google mail in any browser.

Legend

What are the error messages you are receiving while trying to load access these websites ??

New User

explorer's message is "cannot display webage' mozilla's message is "cannot establish connection to server at www.google.com"

when I run troubshooting diagnostics on my computer particular to accessing google the answer is: "The remote device or resource won't accept the connection"

Legend