cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Firefox was hacked. How can I found out how?

Highlighted
New User

My Firefox was hacked. How can I found out how?

I received an email that for all accounts, at first, seemed like it was only a phishing email. One problem. They sent it to a name/email combination that I ONLY used once-- with my Capitol One Credit Card account. In the body they also cited our complete address (the one used for our Capitol One account). I went to Capitol One, and sure enough they had charged my card 3 times in the previous week. Capitol One said they didn't hack my account with them. Mozilla Firefox is the ONLY browser I use with that account, so the only other possibility is Firefox.

HELP!

14 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: My Firefox was hacked. How can I found out how?

Sometimes a problem with Firefox may be a result of malware installed on your computer, that you may not be aware of.

You can try these free programs to scan for malware, which work with your existing antivirus software:

Microsoft Security Essentials is a good permanent antivirus for Windows 7/Vista/XP if you don't already have one.

Further information can be found in the Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware article.

Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!

New User

I have the Full Norton Security Suite. Shouldn't that do it? Or not?

Site Moderator

It's hard to say that Firefox was hacked because there are so many reasons why unauthorized charges were made.

New User

Norton is not foolproof. It can't hurt to use some other tools to check as well. Seeing as your credit card has already been stolen and illegitimately used, I'd say you should be throwing anything and everything you can at this problem to prevent further damage to your credit and finances in general.

Support Forum Moderator

Have you ever used a public WiFi connection to access that account?
How frequently do you change you password for that account?
Have you ever allowed someone else to use your PC in your own logon user account?

As far the Norton Security Suite, is it capable of detecting a key logger or discovering a root-kit infection? Anti-virus applications usually aren't capable of handling Malware, either.

SUMO Contributor

Were you storing the account password only in your head or did you save it in Firefox or in one of your extensions or in another password manager?

I'm not clear on how having the login compromised would lead to charges on your card, but I suppose someone with access to the account could extract the right information to use for purchases.

New User

The difference her is something fortunate that happened. Again, the email account and the name (my wife's) were ONLY used the one time in that combination, and that was to open the CC account. So while I understand, all things being equal... but I was able to narrow it down quickly, not to mention that Firefox is the ONLY browser I used to both look at the account and open it.

New User

No I haven't used a public area to access the account. I have a VERY secure Cisco router and Network is local only. No wifi access. The account was only 3 weeks old, which again helped to narrow it down immediately. No One has access to my computer at all.

Thanks for your thoughtful responses. Keep 'em coming! Doc

New User

You got that right-epicoder. I'm ticked. Doc