cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Firefox 14 freezes continuously. It's becoming so unstable I can hardly use it. I'm thinking about witching to Google Chrome. Tired olf this!

Highlighted
New Contributor

My Firefox 14 freezes continuously. It's becoming so unstable I can hardly use it. I'm thinking about witching to Google Chrome. Tired olf this!

Firefox has been slower than molasses for some time now, and then recently it's been freezing and hanging continuously. I've really enjoyed this browser and all my add-ons, but I'm really getting sick and tired of the way it's messing everything up.

21 REPLIES
Support Forum Moderator

Re: My Firefox 14 freezes continuously. It's becoming so unstable I can hardly use it. I'm thinking about witching to Google Chrome. Tired olf this!

New Contributor

Re: My Firefox 14 freezes continuously. It's becoming so unstable I can hardly use it. I'm thinking about witching to Google Chrome. Tired olf this!

I did try to read through some of the stuff in your link, but to be honest, I'm no computer guru and don't care to have to read volumes and then try to figure out what it means in order to use a program. If Firefox is reaching that point, I'm really sad, but I guess it's time for me to move on to another browser. My opinion is that it is up to the developers of this browser to make it work and not up to me to have to go back to school in order to use it.

I have been experimenting with Google Chrome and I could open and close that five times in the time it takes Firefox to open once.

Support Forum Moderator

If you need help, we (volunteers) will walk you through it. Smiley Happy

You mentioned a long startup time, so we can jump to the section "Firefox hangs while loading the first window".

If you want a quick and simple solution, try resetting Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-preferences-fix-problems

Legendary Contributor

Here's an experiment, and I'll keep it brief: Do a Reset and then turn off hardware graphics acceleration.

(1) The Reset feature duplicates certain key data from your active settings folder into a new one, bypassing some add-ons and custom settings. Your plugins will still be active, but could be disabled manually if you like.

More information in this article: Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings.

(2) Disabling graphics hardware acceleration avoids some issues that can be caused by graphics card driver updates, and poor Flash performance on some systems.

You usually need to restart Firefox in order for it to take effect, so save all work first (e.g., mail you are composing, online documents you're editing, etc.).

orange Firefox button or classic Tools menu > Options > Advanced

On the "General" mini-tab, uncheck the box for "Use hardware acceleration when available"

Then restart. Any improvement?

A Reset is nondestructive; you can switch back to your old settings folder if you like. To do this, you use Firefox's Profile Manager, as described in the following article. I do not recommend removing any profiles until you are 110% certain that you will never need any of that profile's data in the future. Use the Profile Manager to create and remove Firefox profiles

New Contributor

You are very kind to offer your help like this, but it looks like if I use this resetting option I lose all my themes and extensions and that's no small thing. I sure don't want to have to start all over on all that stuff. I'll have to think about this.

The reason I love Firefox is because of all the extensions I am able to use. If I have to get rid of them to make the browser work, then for all practical purposes I've lost the browser I have loved.

Legendary Contributor

Hi Nikilet, you probably love some of your extensions more than others. You could review your currently installed extensions and disable everything that isn't essential to your use of Firefox, restart, and see whether that helps.

orange Firefox button or classic Tools menu > Add-ons > Extensions category

Support Forum Moderator

If you close Firefox, then start Firefox in Safe Mode, does the problem still occur? To start in Safe Mode, go to Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled.

If the problem does not occur in Safe Mode, then you can disable your extensions one-by-one until you find out which one is causing the problem. See Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems.

New Contributor

This is to both of you. Actually, I don't feel I have loaded myself down with a bunch of unnecessary extensions. The ones I have are ones I use and I wouldn't want to be without any of them.

I will try the Safe Mode option. If the problem does not occur I will check into the troubleshooting option and will let you know what happens.

I sincerely do appreciate your offer and willingness to help, both of you.

New Contributor

When I started in Safe Mode it was fast as greased lightning. I did discover that I already have hardware acceleration turned off. Now I am going to go forward to check out the other extensions.