cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Links in email won't open. When I click on a link, it goes to open tabs in FF, but the new link doesn't open.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Links in email won't open. When I click on a link, it goes to open tabs in FF, but the new link doesn't open.

When I get a link sent in an email, the link no longer opens when I click on it. When I click on the link, Firefox and the open internet tabs appear on my screen, but the new link does not open. I must manually copy the link, then paste it in the address bar to get it to open.

19 REPLIES
New Contributor

Re: Links in email won't open. When I click on a link, it goes to open tabs in FF, but the new link doesn't open.

Hi CurlyGirl,

So Firefox opens a new tab but does not display the website or the URL in the location bar, is that right?

Regards, Ziggy

New Contributor

Re: Links in email won't open. When I click on a link, it goes to open tabs in FF, but the new link doesn't open.

No. It doesn't open a new tab at all, it just goes to Firefox and the tabs I already have open. (I usually have 6-10 tabs open... I does shift from the mail program to the internet when I click on the link, however.) Does this make sense?

Site Moderator

You may see this bug (got resolved recently in current Minefield 4.0 nightly builds).

Bug 531552 – Firefox opens two windows when opening external links

(please do not comment in bug reports)

New Contributor

Thanks. I haven't been able to get ANY window to open from a link. I tried closing the internet, then clicking on a link in email. Nothing. Even when I right click and select Open Link, nothing happens when the internet isn't already running. When it is open, the internet window becomes active, but no new windows/tabs are open with the link. Does that make sense?

New Contributor

This sounds like the same issue I'm having, and if it is I have something to add.

When I click a link that would normally open in a new window instead of a new tab, it opens nothing. However, after I close Firefox, it continues running, behaving as if those other windows are still open, when nothing actually is. I have to manually open the task manager and end the process to start a new Firefox session.

I'm running Windows 7, in case the issue might stem from there (which often seems to be the case with Microsoft =P ).

New Contributor

I'm on a mac, and when I set Safari as my default browser, it works fine. I've been using Firefox however, and much prefer the set up of FF.

New Contributor

I have the same problem with FF 3.6.13, and Mac OS 10.6.5.

Clicking links in Mail opens FF, but does not open the URL. Safari has no problems when I reset it as my default browser. The problem seems to develop over time. At first, links open fine, but then all of a sudden they won't.

My remedy has been to reinstall FF, but I've had to do it twice in the last couple of weeks, which is getting a bit annoying.

I have not experienced the problem on either of my two older Macs (running 10.4, and 10.5).

New Contributor

This sounds like it will solve my issues, but I have spent a lot of time bookmarking sites and sorting them on my toolbar... Is there a way to save these so I can reinstall these after I unistall/reinstall firefox?

Thanks!

CG

New Contributor

Gorf,

I am having the exact same problem. Were you able to find any resolution to this yet?