cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's late and I'm tired; Firefox updated itself; offered to import settings; I said no -- didn't want to add anything; lost years of settings; can I recover?

Highlighted
New Contributor

It's late and I'm tired; Firefox updated itself; offered to import settings; I said no -- didn't want to add anything; lost years of settings; can I recover?

Windows 7, 64-bit. Firefox seems to have performed an automatic update. I was not expecting it -- late at night and sleepy -- and at Firefox startup was confronted with a do-you-want-to-import-bookmarks question, if memory serves. The first option was to import from I.E. and I leaped to a conclusion that I should just say no to importing altogether, that then Firefox would keep my old profile. It seems that I was gravely mistaken, and have lost at least 2 years of settings. There only seems to be the default profile in the profiles folder. This is a royal pain in the ass. If there is a solution, I'd appreciate a pointer. If not, then the update process seriously needs to be reworked to either save old profiles or not default to data loss. Really crappy way to end my day. String of curse words deleted here.

13 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: It's late and I'm tired; Firefox updated itself; offered to import settings; I said no -- didn't want to add anything; lost years of settings; can I recover?

That's odd, as a Firefox update won't ask you to re-import from IE. You sure you didn't accidentally Reset Firefox?

Does Recover lost or missing Bookmarks help?

New Contributor

Re: It's late and I'm tired; Firefox updated itself; offered to import settings; I said no -- didn't want to add anything; lost years of settings; can I recover?

I did nothing to intentionally cause a reset, nor did Firefox suggest it as an option. I'm sure this is a different version than the last one I was using; the menu bar has collapsed into a single Firefox button, and I don't recall seeing that on any previous version I've used -- it's very post-Windows-7-ish. I'm stumped. And rather depressed, frankly.

Site Moderator

The import wizard starts if the profiles.ini is missing.

You can check if you still have your previous profile folder.

See also:

New Contributor

Oh, and there is no recent backup to recover -- haven't done a profile backup in a long long time. It will be my last resort, but that means pulling it from an old computer not currently in use, and missing the last two years of changes. I suppose it's not the worst thing to have neglected backing up... but it aint pleasant either.

New Contributor

Again, the default profile is the only one in the profiles folder. So unless somebody is aware of a door-number-two, there is no profile to recover on this machine. I seriously don't know what I could have done that would have resulted in such a loss unless this is an uncharacteristic instance of Firefox making unintuitive assumptions. This would be the first time it has really let me down.

Site Moderator

Do you have an Old Firefox Data folder on the desktop?

New Contributor

If you're using Windows 7, you MAY be able to restore via System Restore or Volume Shadow Copy. Do you have any folders inside %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles?

New Contributor

No Old Firefox Data folder to be seen.

New Contributor

There is just one folder in %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles -- titled "nuxqpx4s.default" -- which I assume is the default profile.