cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there some way to turn off FireFox'ss forced automatic upgrade??

Highlighted
N/A

Is there some way to turn off FireFox'ss forced automatic upgrade??

The title really says it all.

The last time I fired up Firefox, I got a blank gray box down in a corner at the bottom of the screen, along with my standard Ff windows/tabs. Apparently, that was the only info I was to get to tell me ff was busily downloading the lastest flashy FF 'upgrade'. Now if I check the 'About' pop-up, it tells me the next time I start FF, I'll start you folks latest ego trip, whether I like it or not.

Do you folks really despise your users that much??

"The more information you can provide the better chance your question will be answered."

riiighht....

11 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: Is there some way to turn off FireFox'ss forced automatic upgrade??

hello, the update settings are in the advanced options tab - since each version generally fixes a few known security vulnerabilities it is highly recommended to keep your browser up to date.

Update Firefox to the latest version

N/A

I know about that setting. I have it set to check for updates, but let me decided when to install the changes. Zippy the Firefox seems to think it knows better than I do what I really want, and decided to force the upgrade anyway.

SUMO Contributor

Hi seybernetx, the "check for updates" setting has always worked for me. However, some users have commented that it's very easy to accidentally approve the update because the notification can pop up while you are typing on a website and not even looking at the screen. I may have done that once myself, but I'm not sure it was in Firefox, it could have been another program.

N/A

Well, unless hitting the right mouse button on an otherwise BLANK gray window is how you're supposed to indicate you want FireFoxx to upgrade, I didn't indicate I wanted an upgrade.

From what I could find, almost all the changes in this latest Great Leap Forward were either Developer enhancement or fixes for Windows versions I don't have (Vista, for example). Given some of the things the ivory tower folks took away, I didn't (and still don't) see any point to my spending the time to install the upgrade.

But FireFox Knows Better!

Support Forum Moderator

I have been using this code in a user.js file in every Profile, and have never had Firefox do an update automatically. I do Firefox updates manually.

// turn off application updates:
user_pref("app.update.enabled", false); 

http://kb.mozillazine.org/User.js_file

BTW, I am using WinXP. Security patches and enhancements are the main reason for doing an update.

N/A

Nice to see the FireFoxx developers are keeping their priorities straight.

2013-08-29-13-35-56-99dad5.png
N/A

"Chosen solution by the-edmeister"

Nice to know THE Ed has the power to decide HIS suggestion is the correct, the one, The Final Solution.

Are all of Ed's 2800-plus 'solutions' the same sort of "Because I Said So" answer? Anyone know?

Support Forum Moderator

I don't know who selected my answer, but it wasn't me. I used my "power" to undo that selection. So set whichever answer you want - you miserable smart ass little jerk.

SUMO Contributor

The people who answer questions here, for the most part, are other Firefox users volunteering their time (like me), not Mozilla employees or Firefox developers.

Please treat the volunteers with respect.

If you want to leave feedback for Firefox developers, you can go to the Firefox Help menu and select Submit Feedback... or use this link. (You'll need to be on the latest version of Firefox to submit feedback). Your feedback gets collected at http://input.mozilla.org/, where a team of people read it and gather data about the most common issues.