cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to force Firefox 4 to offer to remember and to remember user ids and passwords for sites that use the autocomplete mechanism to block such offers and rememberings?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Is there a way to force Firefox 4 to offer to remember and to remember user ids and passwords for sites that use the autocomplete mechanism to block such offers and rememberings?

locked by a moderator on 2-7-2012 - has outlived its usefulness

In Firefox 3.6.16 (and presumably other earlier versions) one could force FF to offer to remember user ids and passwords for many sites by editing the file ...\Mozilla Firefox\components \nsLoginManager.js to ignore site- requested autocomplete disabling (_isAutocompleteDisabled returns false).

FireFox 4 does not use that file or any similar that I was able to find.

Can the result (FF ignores site attemps to turn off autocomplete) be achieved in some other way or by editing some other file?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Forum Moderator

Re: Is there a way to force Firefox 4 to offer to remember and to remember user ids and passwords for sites that use the autocomplete mechanism to block such offers and rememberings?

This bookmarklet makes the browser ignore autocomplete="off" temporarily, allowing you to save passwords even on sites that use autocomplete="off".

Remember Password bookmarklet:
https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/forms.html#remember_password

53 REPLIES
Support Forum Moderator

Re: Is there a way to force Firefox 4 to offer to remember and to remember user ids and passwords for sites that use the autocomplete mechanism to block such offers and rememberings?

This bookmarklet makes the browser ignore autocomplete="off" temporarily, allowing you to save passwords even on sites that use autocomplete="off".

Remember Password bookmarklet:
https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/forms.html#remember_password

New Contributor

I’ve re-compiled the ‘omni.jar’ with a modified ‘nsLoginManager.js’ file and now it works for me. If you want I can send you the file, so you will be able to replace it with the original one.

New Contributor

Thanks, I think.

Actually, I don't understand your reply. I don't know what 'omni.jar' is [other than a java archive file named omni], I don't know what you mean about re-compiling one file WITH another [as what?]. And I don't even know for sure that you are working on FF 4, which uses no 'nsLoginManager.js' file. So there is nothing to replace with [not vice versa] what you might send.

So I think I'll pass, but thanks anyway.

New Contributor

The ‘nsLoginManager.js’ file is located inside the ‘omni.jar’ file. Starting FF4 they have combined all the files into one file. You can find the file under your “C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox” folder, and you can view it with Winzip/Winrar etc…the ‘nsLoginManager.js’ is found under the ‘components’ folder.

New Contributor

Ah! I see. Yes, I would be grateful if you would send a copy of your modified omni.jar. Now that I see what's going on I'm going to try to do it myself, but a standard for comparison would be useful if not indispensible.

Thanks.

ral@raleeper.com

New Contributor

Alon...I would also like a copy of the modified omni.jar file.

Thanks, jeffs246@yahoo.com

New Contributor

Done...

New Contributor

Thank you!

ral

New Contributor

Hi, Alon, please send a copy of your modified omni.jar. Thanks! smile100h@inbox.com