cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Adobe flash plugin 11.3.300.257 incompatible with Firefox???

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Is Adobe flash plugin 11.3.300.257 incompatible with Firefox???

On two different machines (one Windows Vista 32 bit and the other Windows 7 64 bit) I updated the adobe flash plugin to 11.3.300.257, and it stopped working on Firefox (still worked on Google Chrome). No crashes, just an error message any time I click on anything needing the flash player. I restored the previous version of the plugin (11.2.202.235) and everything worked again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Is Adobe flash plugin 11.3.300.257 incompatible with Firefox???

That issue can be caused by the RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin extension (Tools > Add-ons > Extensions).

You can also try to disable protected mode in the Flash player.

See:

27 REPLIES
Site Moderator

That issue can be caused by the RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin extension (Tools > Add-ons > Extensions).

You can also try to disable protected mode in the Flash player.

See:

New User

I disabled all plugins and extensions and it did not help. The only thing that fixed the problem was disabling protected mode in the flash player. That worked.

Conclusion: Protected mode of the Adobe Flash Player is likely incompatible with Firefox.

New User

My notebook uses Windows7 home basic and has no activex or ext. None of solutions solved my problems, I can't watch video, slow, frozen. uninstall - install programs firefox and flash player several times and I'am tired. Solutions are giving new problems. And I wonder how it's written it solved. I am using Firefox for years with pleasure but now I'll begin to use Chrome till problems solved.

Site Moderator

New User

New User

Unfortunately, reset did not work for me.

New User

I have tried starteing FF in safe mode and that allowed flash to work, for some incomprehensible reason, and i also have the new flash protected mode disabled (i think).

Regular User

@cor-el Updated,6/16. If you checked the date on Adobe's posting of this it was 2/2/12 and has to do with another issue. I was working on another major issue at that exact time with Real's Level Three Case Managers. It had nothing to so with Adobe then either - nothing could connect with FF but that issue has been fixed for months. But one user has reported to me,and one on Adobe's site, that the Real plugin extension, when disabled, allows them to see videos again, but they now can't download videos. However, I've tested it thoroughly and it's NOT the cause of no Flash Content loading because disabling it does nothing. So clearly, the Flash update has more than one conflict as well as several symptoms (crashes) for different users, but all caused by this update. And as for this complicated Protected Mode fix, Alice Wyman agrees with me that editing an obscure file is not the best solution and you yourself said it reduces security. The proper workaround is simple and works and is what wmtan said worked for him also - simply restoring the previous version of the plugin,11.2.202.257 or, even safer, 10.3 - you can reinstall from Adobe's archives. This is the only workaround that works and makes sense, in addition to switching browsers or using another browser to download videos. The rest is strictly up to the Developers and they're certainly getting enough complaints on this and other issues caused by this "behaving like a beta" upgrade. They'd better start coordinating this better with Adobe's Developers because this whole fiasco should have been prevented in the first place instead of making us jump through hoops with everybody playing guessing games. What I'm really sick of is the fact that so many of you "experts" can't distinguish between trouble shooting steps and practical workarounds and you're misleading people by doing that. For those users, for example who find that disabling the Record Plugin allows them to stream videos again ( it didn't for me), you lead people to believe that's the workaround and they think that's their solution. So now they can't download videos and they think that's a solution because you and Adobe said so. That's garbage in, garbage out thinking, when the really practical workaround is to simply reinstall the previous version 10.3 from Adobe's archives and have a fully functioning RealPlayer Record Plugin. Adobe now says it's a "last resort"?!? RealPlayer's position as of 6/15 is the same as my recommendation to revert back to 10.3-and no, it's not necessarily a "last resort",and switching to another browser or downloading videos with another browser is the simplest for many users. To trouble shoot to try to find the causes of conflicts is fine, but the problem doesn't end there. Until there's a final fix, a practical workaround still has to be determined, and disabling the download button to fix a flash problem is like withholding food from a starving person so that when they die, they won't need the food.

New User

YES YES YES!!!!! This finally did the trick for me - can't thank you enough, cor-el.

Try to uninstall and reinstall Flash:

The installer in your second link was what was needed.

xox