cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just updated FF to 14.0.1 (Mac 10.6.8) and now netflix won't work. It's asking to restart in 32 bit mode and I changed it in the Get Info to 32 bit. No luck.

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

I just updated FF to 14.0.1 (Mac 10.6.8) and now netflix won't work. It's asking to restart in 32 bit mode and I changed it in the Get Info to 32 bit. No luck.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: I just updated FF to 14.0.1 (Mac 10.6.8) and now netflix won't work. It's asking to restart in 32 bit mode and I changed it in the Get Info to 32 bit. No luck.

Yeah, I have the same problem. Silverlight 4 will not run in Firefox 14.0.1. Used to just use the "restart in 32-bit mode", but now that is caught in an endless loop. Silverlight 5 will run but the video is so badly jerky it is unwatchable. I think it's dropping frames all over the place. Someone needs to fix this yesterday.

16 REPLIES
New Contributor

Re: I just updated FF to 14.0.1 (Mac 10.6.8) and now netflix won't work. It's asking to restart in 32 bit mode and I changed it in the Get Info to 32 bit. No luck.

Try downloading the latest version of Microsoft Silverlight for Mac link text. I just did this, and was able to play Netflix's streaming again--and without that "restart in 32-bit mode" button even appearing!

New Contributor

EEESSS here again to update my post, above. Yes, downloading the latest version of Silverlight for Firefox, Mac, did allow Netflix streaming...but the result is a jerky stream. All movement is just slightly delayed, enough that it's unpleasant to watch.

Firefox, why does 14.0.1 not just play Netflix streaming as it used to do several versions ago--before the advent of the annoying "Restart in 32-bit mode" appeared?

New Contributor

Thanks for the info. This why I try and update everything as little as possible unless it's for security reasons. If it's working, it's not brokenSmiley Happy

New Contributor

Wow, you're right! Very jerky stream and sound. It's like having dial up. FIX THIS FIREFOX!

New Contributor

I've always been told by tech-support people that I should go ahead an update everything whenever I get notices to do so, because somehow all the updated things work together. The idea seemed to be that if I didn't update something, other software would be compromised somehow.

But with Firefox, I am totally confused--for years, it worked just fine, regardless of updated versions. Then a couple of years ago, there was some major problem with each new version. If it wasn't one thing, it was another.

So I feel caught between the rock and the hard place--update Firefox on grounds that all updates need to work with the newest versions of all other updates? Or, as you say, artnerd, just let it be, if it's working okay? Sigh.

New Contributor

I MYSELF am having this same problem. The update notification for FIREFOX 14.0.1 popped up and I clicked on it and now my Netflix does not work. It keeps telling me to click to restart in 32 bit mode and when I click on it, it restarts but then gives me the same message. Now I have to go to Safari just to watch FIREFOX.

HOW COME EVERYTIME FIREFOX GIVES UPDATED THERE IS ALWAYS A PROBLEM WITH APPS AND OTHER ATTACHMENTS WE ONCE HAD? I don't get it.

Site Moderator

Just so you guys know (since we are on the topic of updates) all updates of Firefox also fix security issues.

New Contributor

Yeah, I have the same problem. Silverlight 4 will not run in Firefox 14.0.1. Used to just use the "restart in 32-bit mode", but now that is caught in an endless loop. Silverlight 5 will run but the video is so badly jerky it is unwatchable. I think it's dropping frames all over the place. Someone needs to fix this yesterday.

New Contributor

It works fine when I shrink the window to less then half the size which is okay as that's how I normally watch it. I'm a digital illustrator and I live in front of my Mac and I always have something playing as I work.