cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just downloaded 18.0.1; but now I can't use the search box feature on Start Page.

Highlighted
New Contributor

I just downloaded 18.0.1; but now I can't use the search box feature on Start Page.

Encouraged recently by Mozilla to update older software. Prior to this had no problem inputting information into the search box of Start Page, clicking "search" and then receiving information.

Now, clicking "Search" does not respond.

2 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: I just downloaded 18.0.1; but now I can't use the search box feature on Start Page.

hello dkcurt, first please see if installing the search reset addon can resolve the issue: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/searchreset/ (a restart of the browser is necessary afterwards).

otherwise try the following steps in order to manually restore the search function on the default homepage:

1. go to firefox > help > troubleshooting information and click on profile folder/show folder. a windows explorer window should open up - in there delete the file named chromeappsstore.sqlite.
  2. then enter about:config into the firefox location bar (confirm the info message in case it shows up) & search for the preference named browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone - right-click and reset that entry to the default value.
  3. restart firefox
New Contributor

Re: I just downloaded 18.0.1; but now I can't use the search box feature on Start Page.

Dear Madperson,

Fix #1 worked like a charm; thanks for the valuable information.

dkcurt