Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have unwanted background music when using firefox

SOLVED
Highlighted
Grand Master

I have unwanted background music when using firefox

Every time I now use Firefox (Imac 10.4.11) a nasty computer generated music starts. It sounds like an old computer game. Each time I open a window it starts and does not stop. It carries on, sounding like a siren from a police car. I switch off the speakers, but it drives me mad!!

This happened

Every time Firefox opened

== Today- 21/May/2010

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grand Master

Re: I have unwanted background music when using firefox

Are you certain CoolPreview isn't listed under Tools/Add-ons/Extensions?

So far everyone who has had this problem had CoolPreview, including me!

I am also running Windows Vista and have FireFox 3.6.8.

If you're certain you don't have CoolPreview suggest trying either or both of the following:

1) Download and install the current CoolPreview from www.coolpreviews.com. That's what fixed it for me! Even if you don't have coolpreview, it might overwrite some errant code that is on your machine.

2) Or ... uninstall FireFox completely, restart your machine, then download and reinstall FireFox.

One last thought, are you the ONLY user on that machine? Do you have other user sign-ons? If so, someone else may have downloaded it and that's where the bad code is hiding.

19 REPLIES
Grand Master

Same exact problem. Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Version

Grand Master

Same problem. Never heard it until today. iMac Tiger version10.4.11. How can I eliminate the sound? Turning speakers off is only a band-aid solution.

Grand Master

You're using a Mac, that's the problem.

Grand Master

We were able to resolve the issue by disabling the "Cool Preview" add-in. Mac OSX 10.4

Grand Master

I also disabled Cool Previews and it stopped. (Using Windows XP).

Grand Master

And I'm running a PC so the fellow with the MAC isn't alone ;-) It's the sound track from "Pac Man" Aaaaaargh! But I took the suggestion from Anonymous and disabled Cool Previews and it stopped (so far!). Cool Previews has been running on my PC for a while and today is the first time this has happened.

Grand Master

i have the same problem..when i am using firefox...there is a siren sound i am hearing, i am using windows ultimate(operating system)...please help me...thanks!

Grand Master

Same exact problem. Windows 7 64-bit Version. Uninstalled firefox ver. 3.6.3 and installed ver. 3.5.9. Problem still there. Then saw the solution above and disabled Cool Previews (which has been running on my laptop for 5 months without probs). Problem solved

Grand Master

Same problem, Cool previews was already turned off. Siren/PacMan loop continues. Removing Cool Previews entirely. Restarted FF. Sound gone.

My sound came from a sign company selling yard signs to replace ADT/alarm company signs with a human target w/bullet holes sign containing a catchy phrase. Referred by Piazza/Frontsight gun training academy email.

I seriously doubt Cool Previews as the source of the problem, rather an unwitting victim like the rest of us---when will some people grow up?