cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a problem restoring the tabs from the previous session.

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

I have a problem restoring the tabs from the previous session.

After a computer restart I started a new session without restoring the tabs from the previous session. Is there a way to restore those tabs without selecting each one from History ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: I have a problem restoring the tabs from the previous session.

cor-el - Thank you so much. I found a previous version of the .bak file that had all 29 tabs saved. Restoring it saved me an immense amount of time and frustration. You deserve a medal.

34 REPLIES
Legendary Contributor

If you haven't closed your browser, usually you can use

History > Restore Previous Session

or the button on the built-in Firefox home page (about:home).

However, that doesn't always work; session restore isn't 100% reliable.

Legendary Contributor

Are you still running Firefox 17? For security reasons, you should update to Firefox 19. You can use the "Check for Updates" button here to do that:

Help menu > About Firefox

If you have a specific reason that you feel you can't update, what is it? Maybe there's a good workaround.

New Contributor

Yes, there might be a way to restore your tabs. I can't answer this for every version of Firefox, now. So, please write me the version you are currently using and I am going to help you tomorrow. ;-)

New Contributor

If you are still using the current version of Firefox, you may choose this way: "Firefox" (Button, left side top) -> "History" -> "Restore Previous Session"

New Contributor

Thank you both for your response, but you will note I restarted the computer. This will naturally have closed Firefox in the process. I then started Firefox and opened a new tab. Restore previous tabs option is not available. Using Firefox 17.04

Legendary Contributor

Normally when you restart Firefox, the option to restore the previous session will be present, regardless of how you shut down Firefox. But... no guarantees and at this point it might just be gone.

If you open your currently active Firefox settings folder (AKA your Firefox profile folder), you might find a file named sessionstore.bak with a promising timestamp. If you think it dates from your lost session, make a copy of that file in a safe place and we can try to substitute it back as your session history file.

To open your profile folder:

Help menu > Troubleshooting Information > "Show Folder" button

Make your copy for safekeeping. Exit Firefox. Once Firefox has finished updating the files in the folder, rename sessionstore.js to sessionstore.old and copy your sessionstore.bak back and rename it to sessionstore.js.

Restart Firefox, then restore your previous session using the History menu. Any luck?

New Contributor

jsher2000 - Thank you so much for your helpful advice. I tried it and I think it would have worked fine except that having realised originally that I was in the process of opening a new tab prior to restoring the previous ones, I think I closed Firefox to try to stop the new web site loading, and in the process it must have overwritten sessionstore.bak. Had I not done that I think your solution would have worked a treat. I will save your advice in case a similar thing happens again. Thank you.

Site Moderator

You can try to restore a previous version of the sessionstore.js or sessionstore.bak file. You need to rename the .bak file to .js to make Firefox see that session.

• right-click: Properties > Previous Versions
New Contributor

cor-el - Thank you so much. I found a previous version of the .bak file that had all 29 tabs saved. Restoring it saved me an immense amount of time and frustration. You deserve a medal.