cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have Mac 0S 10.5.8 and recent updates to firefox say that safety features are no longer supported. What does this mean and what can I do to keep using Firefo

Highlighted
New User

I have Mac 0S 10.5.8 and recent updates to firefox say that safety features are no longer supported. What does this mean and what can I do to keep using Firefo

Firefox automatically updates on my computer. During the last update a pop-up told me safety features were no longer available and may leave my computer vulnerable. What does this mean and what can I do. I really want to continue to use firefox but don't want my computer to be "infected".

16 REPLIES
Support Forum Moderator

Re: I have Mac 0S 10.5.8 and recent updates to firefox say that safety features are no longer supported. What does this mean and what can I do to keep using Firefo

Firefox 16 is the last version of Firefox that works with Mac OS X 10.5.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-no-longer-works-mac-os-x-10-5

Site Moderator

Re: I have Mac 0S 10.5.8 and recent updates to firefox say that safety features are no longer supported. What does this mean and what can I do to keep using Firefo

New User

WTF. Get a new computer? Are you kidding me?

New User

Yep. The fix is to use Safari. As a long time Firefox user, I am stunned that they'd suggest just going out to buy a computer as a solution. Right. I am writing this from my very Firefox-like Safari browser.

Support Forum Moderator

Where have you seen Mozilla suggest buying a new computer?

Site Moderator

You have two options here if you want to stay most secure (Safari isn't secure at all as it hasn't been updated in ages on 10.5).

1. Continue to use Firefox 16.0.2. While this isn't going to be a guarantee for security, it's the safest browser for 10.5.
  2. Either purchase a new computer, or upgrade to Mac 10.6 or higher.
New User

In the pop UP!!! They say Apple stopped support for Mac 10.5 in 2009!!! And I only bought this one in 2009

Site Moderator

Mac 10.5 was released in 2007, and Apple released the last update for it and dropped support in August 2009.

New User

Option 2 is not funny... There are software problems too when you upgrade for instance FCPro ?? And a new computer??? Come on. I bought this one in 2009 and intend te work on it for at least some years... They are nog THAT cheap!! And option 1 is not very satisfactory either.

Why does Mozilla do this? Do they have financial profits? Do they and Apple cooperate??