cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have Firefox version 18. If I download and install Firefox Beta, will it be a separate browser or overwrite my installed version?

Highlighted
New User

I have Firefox version 18. If I download and install Firefox Beta, will it be a separate browser or overwrite my installed version?

Will Firefox Beta be a separate browser or will it overwrite my current version?

3 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: I have Firefox version 18. If I download and install Firefox Beta, will it be a separate browser or overwrite my installed version?

It will be separate, but will use the same bookmarks, history, etc. that Firefox release uses.

Site Moderator

Re: I have Firefox version 18. If I download and install Firefox Beta, will it be a separate browser or overwrite my installed version?

hello, it will overwrite your currently installed version - but your bookmarks, passwords, customizations etc. won't be affected by that.

edit: tyler are you sure about that - i think the beta version will install into the default firefox program folder & replace its contents?!

Site Moderator

It may install in a separate program folder, but will still use the currently selected default profile, so make sure to do a custom install and install in another program folder.
Don't launch Firefox after the installation has finished, but use the Profile Manager to create a new profile and use a desktop shortcut to start each version with its own profile.
The beta version is supposed to work just like a release.
Note that the next beta version (probably the last one) is planned for Tuesday next week.

Use the -no-remote command line switch to open another Firefox instance with its own profile and to run different Firefox instances simultaneously.