cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got a warning telling me Firefox no longer supports my operating system after updating to Firefox 16. I have Mac OS X 10.5.8 on a Macbook.

Highlighted
New User

I got a warning telling me Firefox no longer supports my operating system after updating to Firefox 16. I have Mac OS X 10.5.8 on a Macbook.

I have a Macbook, OS X 10.5.

After I updated my browser to Firefox 16, I got a warning, "Firefox no longer supports your operating system version and will be vulnerable to online attacks" which leads me to this page: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-no-longer-works-mac-os-x-10-5#os=mac&browser=fx16

On this page, it says BOTH Firefox 16 works and doesn't work with OS X 10.5, leaving me very confused. http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-firefox-mac#os=mac&browser=fx16

I would like to have a secure version of Firefox without having to switch browsers or buy a new computer. Should I restore Firefox 15? Or is there something I should look out for?

3 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: I got a warning telling me Firefox no longer supports my operating system after updating to Firefox 16. I have Mac OS X 10.5.8 on a Macbook.

Firefox 16 versions still work with your OS X 10.5 operating system, but that is the last version that will work.
Firefox 17 will require OS X 10.6 and later.

You can see the Firefox 17 (currently in beta) system requirements here:

New User

Re: I got a warning telling me Firefox no longer supports my operating system after updating to Firefox 16. I have Mac OS X 10.5.8 on a Macbook.

So there is no security compromise for using Firefox 16?

By the time Firefox 17 comes out I'll hopefully have a new computer. Just wanted to make sure that while I'm still using my macbook I still have the full browsing experience.

Site Moderator

Firefox 16 fully works on your computer and there is no problem with the security in using Firefox 16. You can use that version without compromising anything.