Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot change my firefox theme

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

I cannot change my firefox theme

I seem to be stuck on a certain background theme/persona. Whenever I go to change themes, nothing changes. I can switch back to the original default theme but other than that, I'm stuck with a snowflake theme I used during winter. I've disabled all my extensions through safe mode to no avail. I've cleared cache and cookies, updated plugins, searched for the stuck theme in about:config and in my firefox folders, etc. So far, nothing has worked... Any ideas?!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: I cannot change my firefox theme

Alright, it's sorted! I had a lwtheme folder where theme-header and-footer were stored, but for whatever reason I needed to have the theme-header and -footer files outside of the folder too. I didn't have them! So, I transferred them over from the new profile I created to my old profile and presto! Then the preview wasn't working but I found this and solved that problem too - http://www.hazelstutorials.com/firefox-personas-mouseoverhover-not-working/#comment-8779 Thanks again everyone!

23 REPLIES
Site Moderator

hello, have you set firefox to never a remember history (a.k.a. always run in private browsing mode) in firefox/tools > options > privacy. in this case it's a known issue that light-weight themes won't work in this mode currently. this bug will be corrected in the upcoming firefox release.

New Contributor

I forgot to mention that I checked that already. I have "Remember my browsing and download history", "Remember search and form history" and "accept cookies from sites" all checked. Thanks for the idea though. Any others?

Site Moderator

You can check for problems with preferences and rename or delete the prefs.js file and possible numbered prefs-##.js files and a possible user.js file to reset all prefs to the default values.

All Star Contributor

What about full-fledged themes? I heard that those are turned off for private browsing windows. Since I dislike the default theme, that would make me reluctant to bother with private browsing.

New Contributor

The prefs.js doesn't seem to be locked, corrupt or damaged in any way and I would prefer not to reset it because I have a lot of settings established. All other preferences are saving just fine. And I can switch back to default and that saves. I really don't want to reset because, unless I am misunderstanding something, I'm going to lose all my settings and it would take a long time to redo things. I even searched the prefs.js for the stuck theme - nothing!

Site Moderator

The list of installed Personas is stored in prefs.js in the Firefox Profile Folder and can be inspected on about:config in the lightweightThemes.usedThemes pref in JSON object format ({"id":"#","name":"xxx",...}).

The first entry of that pref is the currently used persona.

You can check for problems with the lightweightThemes.* prefs if you aren't able to change the Persona.

If it works in Safe Mode and in normal mode with all extensions (Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) disabled then try to find which extension is causing it by enabling one extension at a time until the problem reappears.

Close and restart Firefox after each change via "Firefox > Exit" (Windows: Firefox/File > Exit; Mac: "Firefox > Quit Firefox"; Linux: "Firefox/File > Quit")

New Contributor

Thanks for the help, however my themes do not work work in safe mode (I said that above, but perhaps not very clearly.) And I can see the persona I am suppose to be using in my prefs however, that is not what is currently showing, which is the problem. The snowflake theme is what is showing no matter what I switch to. The only theme that will work is that and the default. Any other installed theme automatically displays the snowflake theme. I have uninstalled the snowflake theme and have tried reinstalling alternative themes but every time I get snowflakes.

Site Moderator

Try to remove the lightweighttheme-header and lightweighttheme-footer files in the Firefox Profile Folder.

New Contributor

I don't have specific files in the Firefox Profile Folder for the theme-header and -footer. I do have them listed in the prefs.js file. Do you mean I should remove them from the prefs file or is there somewhere else I should be looking? Thanks again