Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't open PDF documents

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

I can't open PDF documents

When I click on a PDF, a new tab opens. It gives me the option to open the document directly or save it--this is what I have preferences set to do. However, when I try either of those options nothing happens. It only opens a new blank tab. My specifications are below. I've run all the relevant software updates.

System: OS X 10.8.2

Adobe Reader: 10.1.5

Firefox: 18.0.1

I've seen this problem on other posts and I've done some searching on the web. I've tried the solutions that have been provided and worked for other people, however I noted that they were running older versions of some of the software, etc. Interestingly, I CAN open PDFs that come to me or that I send through Gmail.

I have done the following based on the advice I've seen:

Cleared my downloads list

Tried disabling the Adobe NPAPI Plug-In

In my Firefox preferences: I have set PDF documents to be open by Adobe. I also tried it with Preview. Neither of them worked.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New User

Re: I can't open PDF documents

This what worked very well for me. In case your application preferences file has become corrupted, you could try renaming or deleting it. Help > Troubleshooting Information > "Show Folder" The file is named mimeTypes.rdf and if you rename or delete it, it should be regenerated with default the next time you restart Firefox.

25 REPLIES
Mozilla Support Contributor

I think disabling the plugin is the best thing to do. That should avoid the blank tab because Firefox would not try to render the PDF internally. If you do that, does anything change?

In case your application preferences file has become corrupted, you could try renaming or deleting it.

Help > Troubleshooting Information > "Show Folder"

The file is named mimeTypes.rdf and if you rename or delete it, it should be regenerated with default the next time you restart Firefox.

Site Moderator

The Adobe Reader plugin may not be working properly on Mac.

Disable the Adobe Reader plugin in Firefox (Tools > Add-ons > Plugins) and use the external Adobe Reader application or Preview application instead.

• Firefox > Preferences > Applications > Adobe PDF document : Use Adobe Reader

PDF files may also be found under another entry like Portable document.

New User

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH

System: OS X 10.6.8

Adobe Reader: 10.1.5

Firefox: 18.0.1

IS THERE A SOLUTION

Hi Huvotnl, have you disabled the Adobe Acrobat plugin here:

Tools > Add-ons > Plugins category

New User

Yes I did ! I have event deleted extensions.

New User

I have disabled the plug-in and told the system to use the Adobe application to open PDFs...nothing changed.

If I delete the file you are talking about, will I lose my bookmarks or anything like that???

The mimeTypes.rdf file does not contain any bookmarks or personal data. If you are concerned about potential data loss, please make a backup of the contents of your personal settings (Firefox profile) folder before making any deletions.

New User

In Preferences--Applications it seems as though the default for some items is "always ask" which doesn't happen! I changed "Preview Document (application/pdf)" from "always ask" to "Use Adobe Reader". I also changed "Preview Document (x-unknown/pdf)" from "always ask" to "Save File". Now the desired content opens in a new window & is downloaded to my desktop (my preference). I use a Mac & am not a computer whiz. This seems like a really stupid problem related to the newest version of Firefox.