cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am having problems with 301 redirects being cached. How do I clear FF5's memory?

Highlighted
New Contributor

I am having problems with 301 redirects being cached. How do I clear FF5's memory?

I built some websites and never really thought about which redirect should be used when blocking someone from accessing a page requiring a login, so they were all 301's, by default. This has not been a problem until now. FF5 seems to cache this information and I can not access those pages anymore, even after successfully logging in. Clearing FF's cache does not seem to clear this information.

4 REPLIES
New Contributor

Re: I am having problems with 301 redirects being cached. How do I clear FF5's memory?

I, too, had this problem.

Then I found that the Web Developer toolbar's "Disable" > "Disable Cache" option seemed to clear a bad 301 redirect for me.

Looking at about:config, it appears to be toggling browser.cache.disk.enable to false. Toggling that to false directly also does the trick. Toggle back to true to have it cache again (and I bet other things are cached).

Worked for me on FF 5.0.1 and Web Developer toolbar 1.1.9.

New Contributor

Re: I am having problems with 301 redirects being cached. How do I clear FF5's memory?

Rats, this was only temporary. Re-enable the cache and the old cached setting returns.

New Contributor

If you simply clear your cache that should help solve the issue as long as you don't get more 301's.

New Contributor

I'm not sure the best solution should be to empty the browsers cache, especially if you are trying to debug just one website.

Is there not a way to only delete redirect cache ? Or even better, an option to tell Firefox not to cache 301 redirects (yes, even if they are supposed to be permanent).