cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am currently blocked from using a website because it states my browser has ad blocking software. Can someone tell me what steps I need to take rectify this?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

I am currently blocked from using a website because it states my browser has ad blocking software. Can someone tell me what steps I need to take rectify this?

The website I am having problems with is itv.com. I currently use this site to catch up back episodes of soaps I watch. However its now stopped me accessing these programmes until I unblock the ad blocking software so if someone can tell me how to do this I would be grateful please. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Legendary Contributor

Re: I am currently blocked from using a website because it states my browser has ad blocking software. Can someone tell me what steps I need to take rectify this?

Hi primalb, to see whether the blockage is caused by one of your extensions, could you try the site in Firefox's Safe Mode? That's a standard diagnostic tool to bypass interference by extensions (and some custom settings). More info: Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode.

You can restart Firefox in Safe Mode using

Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled (media players should still work)

In the dialog, click "Start in Safe Mode" (not Reset)

Any difference?

11 REPLIES
Legendary Contributor

Re: I am currently blocked from using a website because it states my browser has ad blocking software. Can someone tell me what steps I need to take rectify this?

Your "More System Details" doesn't mention any ad blockers. Can you check your McAfee security software and see whether it might be filtering out scripts or images from websites and see whether you can turn that off temporarily (without disabling your antivirus protection), or try to make an exception for itv.com. (Unfortunately, I don't use McAfee, so I can't provide more detail.)

New Contributor

Thank you so much jscher2000 - you are a star! I have now disabled McAfee and it has indeed done the trick. All the best, jengen.

New Contributor

I have the same problem, only I use a Mac. So I don't have Mc Afee.. Any idea what to do there??

Thanks,

Legendary Contributor

Hi primalb, to see whether the blockage is caused by one of your extensions, could you try the site in Firefox's Safe Mode? That's a standard diagnostic tool to bypass interference by extensions (and some custom settings). More info: Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode.

You can restart Firefox in Safe Mode using

Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled (media players should still work)

In the dialog, click "Start in Safe Mode" (not Reset)

Any difference?

New Contributor

Hi, Thanks for that. I'm actually using Tor Browser. I've disabled all my add-ons and it seems to work... so far!

Many thanks for your help..

New Contributor

I am also having this issue and it is driving me insane! I have tried amending McAfee, I have tried using the 'safe mode' of firefox, I have tried disabling all my plug-ins but that seems to tell me I need to update Adobe when I don't.

Can anybody help me before I go officially stark raving bonkers?!

Legendary Contributor

Hi scoobybrulover, does this problem happen on a lot of sites, or only particular sites?

Do you use any special connection software that might modify your IP address, such as a private VPN, anonymizing software, TOR, or software designed to make it appear that you are in a different country? These tools might cause problems on some sites.

Probably not related: If the plugin check site tells you you need to update the Adobe Acrobat/PDF plugin from 10.1.8 to a newer version, I think you can ignore that. Last time I checked, the site only recognized the 11 series plugin as current. For best results with updating your Adobe Acrobat/PDF plugin , use the update feature inside your Adobe product (e.g., Reader or Acrobat) from the Help menu > Check for Updates.

New Contributor

Hey Jscher2000, It is just itv.com it happens on, every other site I go on is fine.

I do have a DNS that I use, could this be affecting it then?

Many thanks

New Contributor

Hey Jscher2000, It is just itv.com it happens on, every other site I go on is fine.

I do have a DNS that I use, could this be affecting it then?

Many thanks