Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop autoplay of videos?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

How to stop autoplay of videos?

June 2013: videos on websites start playing without my permission, how to stop this?

What I tried: I uninstalled Adobe Flash (disabling Flash add-on didn't work), existing "stop autoplay" add-ons are no longer working according to reviews, tried solution described in "How can I stop videos on websites from automatically playing?" (Type in the address bar: about:config Then search for: plugins.click_to_play Double click and it will be set to true) - doesn't stop videos from playing either. Sent feedback to FireFox about the issue.

From what I had read in reviews, this is not only about Flash: YouTube disabled add-ons and searches for anything that can play videos installed in Windows, including using HTML5 for this. Have no information how other websites do it.

How to stop this? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grand Master Contributor

Re: How to stop autoplay of videos?

18 REPLIES
Legendary Contributor

New Contributor

Thanks for suggestion, but I already completely uninstalled Adobe Flash - there is nothing not block with Flash blocks.

Site Moderator

For HTML5 media you can try to set the media.autoplay.enabled pref to false on the about:config page.

New Contributor

Thank you, I did what you advised, still videos continue to load and play automatically. Maybe it's not Flash and not HTML5...

Anything else that I could try?

Site Moderator

Try to set the Boolean pref media.windows-media-foundation.enabled to false on the about:config page.

New Contributor

Thanks again, appreciate it! Did that, videos continue autoload and autoplay. Anything else to try?

New Contributor

I'm open to suggestions and appreciate your help. The problem persists on YouTube, but many of other websites' videos are blocked, so there is some progress.

Considering another browser, but there is not much choice between major browsers, that are accepted for transactions and are secure enough. Sorry to end on such sour note.

Grand Master Contributor

go to about:config again type in plugins.click_to_play double click it and it should come bold saying True, does it work now.

New Contributor

Thank you! Checked, it's in bold and set "true", just as you said. Some videos on YouTube still autoload and autoplay.

What else can I try?